True Nukes

Adds realistic nuclear blasts, and more nuclear options, including various scales of atomic artillery shell, as well as atomic cannon shells. Also adds thermobaric weapons (these are like fuel air bombs), which act as early game nukes. Simulates the blast wave, thermal impact, crater and fireball of nuclear weapons.

Content
4 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Combat

g graphic power needed

3 years ago

Greetings, first of all, I want to thank you for this awesome mod!! Watching those aliens getting helplessly disintegrates sparks joy to the devil within me. But say, what graphic power do u recommend for firing the 100kt nuke? I am running on a 2080ti and it took about 20 minutes to raise my fps back to 5-8 (just by firing only 1 100kt nuke) and slowly gaining back 1 fps every few minutes. I am writing this while waiting for factorio to return back to peak performance.

3 years ago

Hi, glad you are enjoying the mod!

The graphics is not (so far as I am aware) the main performance issue - the main problem is that the nukes force the game to create huge numbers of particles and entity updates, and execute large quantities of lua. Turning off particle rendering doesn't help either - they are still processed, just not rendered. I don't yet have conclusive proof of what is causing most of the lag,, but it seems to make sense that graphics are not the issue (nothing more is being rendered than normal, and the lag doesn't depend on what you are looking at), so the best you can do is making the computer have to do fewer other things in the background - closing anything else you have open so as to reduce CPU/memory usage, might help a bit.

To reduce the lag, the best you can do is look at the mod settings, and max out the blast radius reduction (the one referring to the 100kt) - this reduces how much of the blast is simulated, trading off realism for performance (a larger number corresponds to a greater reduction).
In the end the 100kt isn't really intended as a useful weapon, more of a toy to show how destructive a real sized nukes can be, so I might recommend using the 15kt or the 1kt.

The mod has some optimisations for destroying trees, so avoiding your own base being within the blast radius will improve performance.
In the long term, I do have a few future optimisations in mind, but these would be quite complex and might not improve things much, depending on what the largest performance cost is.

3 years ago

I have been trying some optimisations, and have got it up to 2fps-2.5fps consistently for 15 minutes of detonation - this was in the middle of a fully explored base, so the most difficult possible case (I have had 30-40 minute detonations before now).
I have been having a deeper dig into the performance properties of the mod, and found that (with the new optimisations) the game spends 25-30% of its time processing particles, so I really cannot get that much faster, however the new version seems substantially better (if nothing else, it is much more playable during the detonation).
I am also looking at reducing the freeze time at the beginning, although I'm not sure how much I can do.
There may be a new version in the near future... (although it might still be week or so - I am relatively busy at the moment).

3 years ago

The latest update to the mod should reduce performance issues significantly. It also adds a bigger nuke, because if there isn't a nuke big enough to crash the game, I'm doing something wrong.

New response