True Nukes

Adds realistic nuclear blasts, and more nuclear options, including various scales of atomic artillery shell, as well as atomic cannon shells. Also adds thermobaric weapons (these are like fuel air bombs), which act as early game nukes. Simulates the blast wave, thermal impact, crater and fireball of nuclear weapons.

Content
5 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Combat

i [Implemented] Atomic missile range

3 years ago

Hi ! First of all, I would like to say that I love your work. I have been having a lot of fun on a game with some friends using the thermobaric missiles to destroy entire biter nests. We are using the "aircraft" mod, so firing them from a jet or an attack plane while going at max speed was both cool looking (feeling like dropping a MOAB) and a safe way to fire the weapon without dying in the process. But then I unlocked the nuclear missile, and things got a little out of hand. While I really like the feeling of the explosion and the effect it was on the biters, I don't really understand how we are supposed to use them without dying. Even with the fastest jet from the aircraft mod we would still take damage from the explosion (because of the thermal pulse). The problem seem to originate from the fact that the range of the missile is too low compared to the yield of the explosion, and even in a plane you have to be a few meters away from the target to fire. Would it be possible to increase the range of the missile launcher (for this specific ammunition) ? Terrific mod tho !

3 years ago

Thanks
I installed the aircraft mod, and spent some time playing around with it (actually loads of time, that was way too fun).
From what I could tell the aircraft stood up relatively well to the nukes, but with some notable exceptions.
I agree that the firing range on the nukes was too short, so I have made it longer, but I noticed what seemed to be a very major problem as well, particularly with the lighter aircraft: They would withstand the blast and the thermal effects well, but would catch fire, and then die to that, as it would exceed the replenishment rate on the shield.
I have added a few fixes to these issues. The first is to remove all the places in my code where I make exceptions for spidertrons and tanks, and change them to be more generic. The second is to reduce blast damage by 50% to any vehicle not on the ground (including the spidertron) on the basis it would move with the blast, not be knocked over or crushed.
The final change, which I am working on now, is to add a 'fire prevention shield' equipment module, which simply prevents the vehicle catching fire from nuclear or thermobaric weapons.
These might take a short while to get into the mod, as I have a few changes ongoing at the minute (Schall's compatibility, this, and an even larger nuke).

3 years ago

When I say they withstood the blast well, this was with lots of shielding, but still.

3 years ago

Nice ! I think you are on to something with these changes

New response