True Nukes

Adds realistic nuclear blasts, and more nuclear options, including various scales of atomic artillery shell, as well as atomic cannon shells. Also adds thermobaric weapons (these are like fuel air bombs), which act as early game nukes. Simulates the blast wave, thermal impact, crater and fireball of nuclear weapons.

Content
4 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Combat

g [Implemented] Couple of other thoughts

3 years ago

I believe I have the mod working as intended on my end finally, and things are looking pretty cool thus far. I could very much see myself using this in my next modded game. The radiation/fallout cloud/effect is awesome in my opinion and really adds something to the nuclear devastation. Plus I look forward to looking at my map late game to see all the little brown circles, some with small lakes, dotting the region. Thank you very much for taking the time to make such a mod.

With that said there are a couple questions/thoughts I'd like to pass by you.
Is the 1 kt nuke supposed to damage structures(Solar panels, radars, and accumulator) 20+ chunks away from point of impact?

Also...
Would it be possible to make the lakes that form in the craters not allow walking on them? Make the water look like any other body of water?

3 years ago

Hi, thanks for responding. Just out of curiosity, what did you do to make it work? I know the mod might have some trouble with name-spacing (the dangerous-radiation-clouds you mentioned earlier are named that to avoid clashes with Mushroom-Cloud, which I honestly couldn't recommend enough).

The 1kt nuke is really meant to go that far... the ground-burst 'light damage' (enough to break windows) radius is actually that huge, 1.18 km. Chunks are 32 tiles across, so the radius should be even more (~40 chunks), but the in game effects are limited, as the levels of damage were getting stupidly low, and (as justification), you are on a remote planet, so you would armour things a bit, right?

I originally did make the lakes not traversable, but soon discovered that if the player was standing where the lake was expanding to, the lake would immediately kill the player, and destroy their corpse (I can't remember, but it might even have put them in god mode...).
The lakes already do cause problems, as if drones are trying to rebuild there, they will repeatedly destroy the buildings, and remove landfill, until the lake is 'finished', hence the option to disable them.
If you have any better ideas, please tell me, this is my first mod, so I might have missed a good solution...

Thanks for the response, and hope you enjoy!

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Thanks for the quick response and information.

I understand the ranges, but as you mention the ground-burst that reaches to 1.18km is enough to break windows, but not destroy buildings. There are two waves of damage that hit after impact. First does very little damage which is what I assume to be the blast wave you're referring too. However, the second wave does enough damage over 20 chunks away to destroy buildings. You have to remember these are being fired from an artillery piece and the range is limited to just how far away you can fire them. So I, as a user, have to either deal with the fact I will have to rebuild some buildings ever time I use a 1 kt nuke or make my own personal mod to modify the range of arty so I can fire the 1 kt far enough not to destroy my own outpost. Personally, I don't mind this and I see it as a cost of using such a powerful weapon; however, some might not see it that way.

As for the lakes, not sure I can think of a solution at this moment. Other then some sort of complicated system that moves the character if they would die to the expanding water.

Thanks again! It's a wonderful mod and I am very much looking forward to my play through once 1.0 is released.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Could put the tech behind a certain level of artillery shell range.

3 years ago

Oops, I am an idiot... To clarify, the initial instantaneous damage is thermal, it technically does fire damage, whereas the latter wave is the blast (delayed due to the speed of sound, and to make the wave look cool, as seen in videos of nuclear blasts).
I had done tests of the blast damage, and found it acceptable, but only because I was using the 'unlock all tech' cheat, which also unlocks the first stage of artillery shell range, or using big advanced bases, which already have the upgrades. This makes the damage relatively minimal, but without it, the damage is catastrophic. I will try to work out a solution, (maybe just a lower power nuke to start with, and put the others behind space science, so you have to have the ability to get shell range). I would look at putting it behind the range upgrade, but as it is an infinite research, I'm not sure it's possible.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I really wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. I did try to make it so that using the weapon was very costly, but mostly intended this to take the form of lots of repair packs being used and some forest fires, not so much the death of all your power poles and signals...

I think I will add a ~500t artillery fired nuke, and put a warning on the bigger nukes...

3 years ago

OK, I have now added the 500t nuke. See if this is any better... Sorry again.

3 years ago

I think the addition of the 500 t shell is perfect. Gives two real options now with different trade-offs. I, too, agree the risk of damaging ones' outpost to be a fair trade for such a powerful weapon when it comes to using the 1 kt shell.

Also, thank you very much for adjusting the sort order of the atomic cannon shell....that is something that really bugged me, but I just planned to resolve that through my own personal settings mod and not bother you with it...lol

It's the little things...

3 years ago

I was planning on doing the sorting anyway, but never got around to it... I also added the migrations system in, so that things unlock if you already have the technologies.
Thanks for the help, and hope you enjoy!

New response