Content
3 months ago
0.18 - 1.1
Logistics

i Different Depot Sizes

4 years ago

Hey there, awesome mod.

And here I am, with another suggestion ;p

Would you consider adding different sizes of the Depots?

Like, let's say, a small supply depot that occupy only a single tile (or maybe a 2x1), and has the storage size of a steel chest, then a medium one with the 3x3 size (current) and storage size of 9 (maybe less) steel chests, and a large one, with 5x5 tile, with storage size of 25 (maybe a lot less) steel chests.

Similarly, for Request Depot and Buffer Depot, small, medium and large versions, with 1 tile, 3x3 and 5x5, and each requesting 1 stack, 3 stacks and 5 stacks, respectively.

What do you think?

Anyway, thanks again for the awesome mod!

4 years ago

depending on bonus research, a single drone will transport 1-6 stacks. having that capped for requesters to 1/3/5 stacks would make no sense and slow down transports a lot. and with steel chests having 48 stacks, the small 1x1 providers could hold enough stacks for 8-48 drones, up to 72-288 drones on the 3x3 and enough items for 200-1200 drones on the 5x5 !!!

thus YES, some smaller footprint might be useful, eg when i want to provide 4 different items to a single (or at most a few) assemblers. but also NO, the above values are too small and too large and would need a lot more balancing, and there already are limits to the capacity of depots anyway (roughly 2 steelchests capacity on providers, which would take a lot of inserters/loaders to fill them fast enough; and depending on bonus 100 to 600 stacks or maybe a few more for requester depots when you have up to 100 or maybe a few more drones in the depot)

hehe, a 1x6 or 2x6 sized provider depot might be nice, to be used at train stations :-) currently i am using two 3x3 providers to unload a single wagon into, but that quickly becomes unbalanced when drones always take from the nearest provider which most often gets empty quickly, while the second is full and unloading time increases/doubles. I'll have to experiment how buffers as relay between train station and the rest of the factory may help.

another problem that i have with number of stacks and stack sizes is that i want/need many large transports for ore (even with max bonus, this is only 6x50 = 300 ore each time, and i need many drones to get enough ore, but on the other hand, researching this big bonus also causes drones to fill requesters for green and red circuits or for science potions with insane amounts of items (a single! drone causes a requester to try and stay between 6x200=1200 and 12x200=2400 items) ... would it be possible to add an option to the depots' popup window that reduces the bonus, similar to the "override stack size" on inserters, to let drones from a specific requester only carry and ask for 1 to <current bonus> stacks per drone ?

4 years ago

+1 to override stack size

In the meantime you can deal with those issues using buffer depots and just have 1-2 drones picking up from the nearest buffer depot.

4 years ago

Yeah sure, the values I mentioned were the first that came to my mind, not much thought in them. Surely more balanced numbers would be much better, but you get the idea, smaller and larger buildings would be really useful.

4 years ago

One usecase would be krastorios AirPurifier filter, you need a constant supply with a low amount were a stack size of 10-20 would be ideal, both to request, and to ship back. Of course one could have a massive oversupply of filters sitting around in each depot, but that just rubs me the wrong way.

4 years ago

when you have some items that are sent back and forth (like i understand airfilters work, or also barrels of some fluid), it might work well to have relatively few such items, and because drones will carry also small amounts IF the depot has less than one stack, you would have a constant flow back and forth (which might become a bit costly concerning fuel :-)

but for everything else that is produced, like copper/green/red wires or circuits or science packs, a buffer depot only would add yet another additional storage to hold even more items. already when having a single drone, the mod will try to fill the requester depot with 200-400 items (without bonus) up to 1200-2400 items (with bonus 5). an additional buffer in between would not change that, but hold another 1200-2400 items itself, for a total of 2400-4800 items, an insanely huge amount on a small or medium base with maybe max a few hundred spm ...
currently i have several requesters for red circuits at different parts of my factory, thus easily adding up to having at least 6k (5x6x200) to 12k circuits stored (or up to 12k-24k when using additional buffers), easily starving some parts of my factory for a long time before all other requesters are full.

only solution that i currently see (until we get some other options like "override capacity bonus"): not using the capacity bonus and only researching increased speed as well as using multiple (up to 6x as many) drones to compensate for those depots that really need larger amounts.

4 years ago

when you have some items that are sent back and forth (like i understand airfilters work, or also barrels of some fluid), it might work well to have relatively few such items, and because drones will carry also small amounts IF the depot has less than one stack, you would have a constant flow back and forth (which might become a bit costly concerning fuel :-)

Well since you need multiple locations for the Airfilters as they only clean the chunk they are on, it is not really feasible to both have a small amount and multiple locations.

4 years ago

I am toying with the idea of a "last mile" logistics drone service which would use smaller transport drones which can deliver to multiple requestors. Not sure if that would end up being boring though.

4 years ago

I think just having a smaller drone that represents less stacks would be another possible solution.

New response