Toxic Forest

by Yehn

Extremely, ridiculously dense forests. Incorporates new biomes and trees from other mods.

3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

b [fixed] Stops 99% of enemy spawns

5 years ago

Bug or feature? I don't know, but considering I've been wondering this whole time where the heck all the biters are... I mean, I like peaceful mode and all, but I tend to get really bored if I've got no challenge at all... Can you edit the trees so they are 'overwritten' by biter bases? Otherwise I can't use this mod, and I really wanted to use this mod...

5 years ago

"known issue", devs flagged it as not a bug. Going to make a suggestion or maybe an API request that lets me adjust priorities... hopefully I can make some headway that way.

Alternatively, I might try another way that places trees post-generation, but then it'll just be random instead of forests of same/similar trees.

5 years ago

Is there no way to place biter bases post generation?

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

The problem there isn't the act of placing the biter bases - I could have the mod delete some trees and put them down, yes. The hard part it determining where they should be. Factorio's world is procedurally generated, and that's not just terrain but resources, enemies... trees.

This mod works by plugging into Factorio's procedural generation system and basically telling it there should be trees everywhere, but the type should vary according to the procedural system. It's still using Factorio's generation engine, just with some different parameters. This is also the problem with placing trees manually after generation, if I want it to look as nice as it currently does.

To manually place biter nests - or more accurately, to know where they should be placed - I'd basically have to write my own engine. To be honest, I don't have the first idea how to go about something that big.

If I do find some simple workaround I'll jump on that. When I have some time to spare, I'm planning to add a completely randomly tree placement mode as a workaround in the short term. It won't look as nice, but there will be biters in that mode at least.

5 years ago

Hm... That is a toughy... thinking What about the option that stops trees from generating on top of ore patches? Perhaps biter bases could be filled in there? It would certainly make getting resources a lot more 'interesting'.... Could that work as a work around?

5 years ago

Well I have some good news. After a lot of exploring different techniques with the help of people in the Factorio discord... we finally found a way to do it.

New version's uploaded. Biter spawns will no longer be obstructed. And as an incidental fix, ore patches should more frequently be covered now - unless you tick the option to clear them.

5 years ago

Sweet! You rock! Thanks!

4 years ago

Use https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PrioritizeEnemies might fix the problem. But the difficulty of other resource spawn will be affected since the trees will overlap the resource being generated. This Mod Blocks the Resource SPAWN?

4 years ago

Hi, thanks, but this was fixed a while ago.

New response