Texugo Wind Generator

Wind Generators produces free energy, but are expensive and don't have a steady output. This mods adds 3 tiers of Turbines, from small wood generators to massive steel turbines. Last Update 0.18.4 - Thank you very much Micromario for the great polish of the mod and adding compatibility to some mods.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 0.18
Power

g Kind of OP

5 years ago

I'd say this is kind of OP, even for the price. maybe go 10KW, 100KW, 1MW would be fairer.

Po, brother, tá meio over power essas turbinas. Acho melhor botar 10, 100, 1000 KW...

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Fato engraçado é que eu fiz esse mod em resposta a outro mod de energia eolica que era extremamente OP, com 5x menos recurso que a minha MK2 vc fabricava a MK3 dele que produzia 10MW....
Eu jogo com RSO com spawns bem pobres, tipo, os primeiros patchs de minerios tem cerca de 20k, todo recurso é escasso. Então no meu game não fica OP.
POREM, vou dar uma fuçada pra ver se consigo fazer uma configuração no jogo pra poder alterar como achar melhor.

5 years ago

Feito.
Dei uma pesquisada e diminui 2,5x a energia pra ficar mais parecido com a realidade, alem de botar uma configuração.

5 years ago

In determining whether or not it's overpowered, compare to solar panels and other power generation.

Even a wooden windmill takes up a significant amount of space. I think maybe as much as a solar panel. But its average power output is about the same (solar panels are 60kw when the sun is shining). A solar panel takes about 1.125 raw resources per kilowatt produced. A windmill takes about 1.94 raw resources per kilowatt produced.

So, I think wooden windmills are underpowered in a sense. I mean, you get them earlier in the game. So that's nice. But otherwise...

As far as the other structures are concerned, they might be OP. I don't know. I found the cost and complexity of producing them to be so obnoxious that I didn't use them much. It's nearly impossible to produce them in an automated fashion until mid-late game because they require 6 item recipes to make. And in the early game, windmills can't be produced in an automated fashion because there's no way to cut down trees and get wood except by hand. And even later, you have to direct robots to do it.

So, all in all, I found these items to be extremely tedious and irritating to work with. And I would only do so if I was dedicated to not doing fossil fuel based power production for the entire game.

I intend to fiddle the mod to only require 10 wood (not raw wood) for a windmill. Otherwise I'll have to spend an hour chopping down a forest for enough power to run my base until I can get automated production of solar panels.

The huge wind turbines might be a viable alternative to nuclear power. And if they are, that might well be OP. It would be a lot easier to produce a whole slew of those than to set up a whole uranium processing system and complex system for feeding and caring for a nuclear plant.

5 years ago

Omnifarios - if you are downloading this mod, you can download any other mod that makes wood. Bio Industries and Lumberjack are very good mods that can help you with the wood, make not only possible, but very easy. Without any mod that helps you with wood in the beginning, then yes, its VERY painful.

5 years ago

Very nice mod, and really neat design.
I don't think they're OP : just good in power. yes, bio-industries is the good solution for the wooden turbines.
However, I think the huge ones are a bit expensive, and take too much place, if you compare with what you need for nuclear powerplants. I build them for the fun, but can't rely on them for my needs.

5 years ago

"They are expensive and take too much place" - well... that's the idea, but in the other hand, its simple and have no maintenance. Nuclear Energy is cheaper and lot more compact. Just like real life :D
I play with OreOverhaul and a bunch of mods that buffs bitters, coal is limited and uranium is Very Far. For me, they are very cheap...
In any case, if you think they dont produce enough energy, you can change in the mod settings as you like.

5 years ago

I understand the idea :-)
I live in France, we have a lot of nuclear plants. On each one, you could set up around 25 (5x5) 5 MW wind turbines, so 125 MW instead of the 900 MW nuclear plant. In another way, you need about 8 times more space for the wind turbines, but you can build , and it's often the case, factories between them, or have herds under them ;-)

5 years ago

i just started a game on a real desert planet which has no fossil fuels (no wood, no coal and no oil :-)
to start production chains, I'm using a mod that gives 40 wood (only!) on map start. when collecting coal from big rocks (to power smelters), this leaves 25 wood to make a wind generator, 5 wood to make powerpoles, and 10 wood to make some seedlings (I'm using bobs greenhouses; and this also should be the first research instead of the usual automation). it's a tight fit (eg using electrical miners from the start to save on coal), but i successfully did it even with research costs set to 10x in the map options :-)
instead of a wind turbine it would also be possible to use a hand crank generator to kick off the whole system, but the wind turbines look more natural and realistic ...

a power production of 60kw max (40kw average) looks almost identical to solar panels, but the wind turbine of this mod requires a lot more space (5x5 tiles instead of 3x3 tiles, thus almost 280% of the panel's space). on the other hand it can be built right from the start without any additional research and without the need for buffer accumulators which both is very important on modded maps with limited or no fossil (wood/coal/oil) resources. the cost is also somewhat comparable to vanilla solar panels (25 wood, 30 iron, 32.5 copper, compared to 40 iron and 27.5 copper) the additional cost in wood and space is offset by much fewer research (solar panels require 350 red and 250 green bottles, or even more when using the research cost multiplier).

comparing these wind generators with other wind generator mods: KS power has generators right from the start for roughly half the price, a fraction of space (only 2x2 tiles) and they produce ~20kw avg. the wind turbine v16 mod requires a lot of research first (450? red and 150 green bottles, not counting automation etc) and some engine and thus is not usable for the early game or maps like my fossil-less map (but then will produce 1MW :-)

TL/DR: the wooden turbine of this mod is very comparable with vanilla solar panels, some additional costs in wood and space, less costs in research and fuel spent until research is finished) and thus an ideal alternative for the early game on MY map, and a bad alternative to solar panels during the later game. but then MK2 and MK3 of this mod should be available and compared to solar panels.

5 years ago

40 wood ? Thats crazy!! hahaha
I'll deduce that you liked the mod.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

yes, i like the mod (although i only got to use the wooden wind turbine until now). this mod or a cheaty hand crank generator are needed to keep miners, inserters and basic assemblers running until some wood production is set up on a rail world with map settings for trees NONE, coal NONE (big rocks still can be mined for stone and coal), oil NONE, and water NONE. the 40 wood are from https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Starting_Wood, and there seems to be a smiliar mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/wood-start from DaveMcW :-)

but i have to restart the map now :-( since i used the ice ore mod to get water. that mod is well suited to produce water for the greenhouses and other recipes, but for the usual power setup of 1:20:40 (pump:boilers:generators) i would need 5+ yellow belts of ice ore and 60+ ice smelters (plus huge numbers of miners and inserters) which uses so much energy that one self-sustaining group of greenhouses (that produces a surplus of maybe 100-300 raw wood per minute) would need half a yellow belt of ice ore, 8 ice smelters, 2 boilers and 4 steam generators. it should be doable, but would occupy an unreasonable amount of space.
in addition, I'll hit the next problems soon: the better version of greenhouse recipes requires fertilizer which is mapped to the complicated bio industries version which requires half as much energy for the wood, but twice the amount of energy for all the overhead and thus is useless for me. without it and two other mods I'll have problems kickstarting midgame: enough wood and thus selfmade coal, but no oil/sulfur to kickstart bobs fertilizer, not enough power while not having fertilizer yet, wood gasification could help but is too far down the research tree, etc.

now, I'll look for alternatives for water (only for the power plant, maybe even a cheaty water well) since this mod is really helpful to get things started, but a bunch (400+ for 400x40kw=16MW or more) of wooden wind turbines would take forever to build, would fill half my screen and look ugly, no matter how beautiful a single or a few wind wheels are looking. I'll also test how well it might work without bio industries and hydrogen power, and using the 30+ additional science packs instead to make it not too easy :-) and last but not least, i might connect everything underground (mod surfaces or something) with logistic carts instead of using belts, bots and trains :-) (except for some basic power armor at the start to have personal bots build/remove blueprints) LOL

4 years ago

Might be a bit late now but I want to add that I find the recipes extremely well balanced. I use them in outposts that are very far from my main base and they are a good source of free energy taking less space than solar panels, with the drawback that they cost more special resources.
Overall this is a very nice addition to the game,and you managed to make them not redundant with solar panels. Congrats !

4 years ago

I tried to be immersive and balanced as possible only using itens from vanilla on the recipe.
But for some people using a lot of mods, may be unbalanced.
Im glad you liked.

New response