Spidertron squad control [0.5.0 BETA RELEASE]

adds a spidertron squad remote so you don't have to use 100 remotes to control your spider army. also adds a follow mode for your spider army. And a better entity-follow tool that doesn't require you to link every single spidertron individually Beta versions available on GitHub for testing: https://github.com/npc-strider/spidertron-squad-control/releases

Utilities
3 years ago
1.0 - 1.1

i Save squad selection to remote

3 years ago

1) excellent mod, thank you for your time and effort.

2) would it be possible to save a squad to a remote that would stay in ones inventory? Similar to how the vanilla remote will stay attached to a particular spidertron, the squad remote will stat attached to a selected squad.

3 years ago

i'll see if I can do this
will need to restructure some more tables if we want multiple independent squads. note to self: use item.item_number as an index instead of player.index but put the table in the player-indexed one to reduce performance cost.

3 years ago

I'd like to see that!

3 years ago

Yes please! The mod is great and multiple squads would make it even better!

3 years ago

hello, little update on this suggestion
I didn't end up implementing it on a remote basis (issues - what happens if the item is deleted/lost, inventory management due to slots being taken by remotes).
I ended up implementing multiple squads via a menu that allows one to 'save' squads to a list of inactive ones and load from these to a 'primary' squad which is influenced by remotes etc.
Of course the implementation is currently rough, for example you need the hud open to switch, etc. I think I'm going to just release it and see what feedback I get on it.

3 years ago

I think I'm going to just release it and see what feedback I get on it.

The abilities to:

1 - Select a saved squad with a hotkey
2 - Focus the camera/radar view on a squad with a hotkey

would really help streamline this feature's usability.

Taking StarCraft's control groups as an example you can bind a group of units to the 1 key. From there, tapping 1 once selects the units for command and tapping 1 twice will also focus the camera on them. Similar functionality for a Spidertron squad would be great.

New response