Smog: Visual Pollution

Now high pollution makes grey smog; good UPS optimization

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

i Gradients and Configuration options wanted

4 years ago

Hi!

This mod has big potential! It always buggered me that even huge amounts of pollution are not experiencable by the player.

But to make this mod really good, the pollution needs to be gradiented, so those chunky blocks are not visible (I fear this is impossible with LUA) and a setting to configure the amount of visible smog. Right now its quite massive.

I bet it would look quite awesome if the pollution was gradiented.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

But it is gradiented, if you go with the car or with the train you probably cannot find an edge of the pollution.

UPD
See this forum message, under the spoiler: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=71554#p434212

4 years ago

Yes thats right. I mean something different. Right now every chunk has an identical alpha. this results in that you can see where the next chunk starts. Especially in high pollution chunks like coal plants. It would look awesome if it looks more natural. But I fear that would have been implemented by Factorio programmers with shaders.... :(

4 years ago

It looks now something like this:

I can calculate the between values as a gradient between centers of two neighbours:

But it's looks terrible and costs too much calculation, probably huge UPS performance problem.

4 years ago

Yeah its probably something not doable in LUA. It would look cool on a per-tile basis. I bet the performance drop would be horrible :(

4 years ago

Oh please don't take my post as a request :D As said, its something the Factorio programmers would have to do and I just don't understand why they didn't visualize Smog at all. Would have been cool.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

The hardcoded version must be much faster, if you don't need to use much slower lua, then in will be pretty fst without performance issue.
But if the mod is not popular, then it don't go into vanilla too.

UPD:
gaussian blur:

One of the isocolor areas:

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi, thx for this nice mod ! yes it would be cool to have a gradient. In particular with alien biome mod where transition are very hard

For example :
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/679120097280786433/690317888267092149/unknown.png

4 years ago

You can set max pollution value to some bigger, the different between chunks will be a little bit more smooth.

4 years ago

ok, thx for the tips !

New response