Signal Signs

by Qon

Makes blueprints of signs from strings, made out of vanilla constant combinators. Useful for location specific comments in blueprints or on the ground!

Utilities
3 years ago
1.0 - 1.1

i [Won't implement] Other combinators?

3 years ago

I'd love an option to use decider and/or arithmetic combinators. For the one-character-per-tile density they are slightly less copper and more iron per character in vanilla.

Signed, someone playing Pyanodon's Mods where the cost of combinators is actually slowing down his base expansion in the 50+ hours between red and green science.

3 years ago

I'd love an option to use decider and/or arithmetic combinators.

There are several things that makes me think you don't really want it if you tried it.

For the one-character-per-tile density they are slightly less copper and more iron per character in vanilla.

First off, one character per tile only makes a tiny bit of sense when you want it despite the 4x resource and space cost. Why would you want 1 char/tile when you can reduce cost further by using more characters per tile with constant combinators and 4 char/tile?

Also, constant combinators require both less copper and less iron than arithmetic/decider combinators.

The 2 tile combinators don't show 1 character per tile, they show 2 characters between the tiles. And with the same vertical density as constant combinators. They are not at all like 2 constant combinators. They are more expensive and take more space for no advantage for making signs.

And they also require electricity, or the no power icon will flash over your text. If you have low resources then you can't afford the combinator drain either I guess. And the no power icon flashing over the text makes the signs a vomit-inducing by sheer annoyance.

Also, the reason 1 character per tile isn't actually available from the interface is because it's just not nearly as readable as 4 characters per tile. The letter sizes are placed denser but are almost not scaled down at all, which means that 4 characters/tile gives you less space between letters (way more readable) with no real drawbacks. The icons become unreadable at the same zoom level.
Actually if you want 1 char/tile because "bigger icons = more readable" then consider that larger signs means you need to zoom out more too see the whole sign or sentence. And zooming out makes the icons blurry and unreadable. So denser text means you can zoom in more and still see the whole message, and 4 chars/tile actually means larger and less blurry icons in practise.

The idea of showing 1 char/tile in the thumbnail is to show that it consists of constant combinators s you understand what the mod does. It's actually just bad and shouldn't be used in game :^)

People might make them manually because they are maybe easier to make without the mod? But with the mod you can make better signs so why try to make inferior ones?

Anything I missed?

3 years ago

Also, if you can't afford constant combinators: The signs are free for those who can't pay for them. Ghosts works as signs too. Since you don't have to configure them to alter the signal it's not really necessary to actually build them.

3 years ago

You're right on all counts. This was a dumb idea.

3 years ago

Thanks for suggesting it though :)
Nice to have invested users xD

New response