Searchlight

Build long ranged lights that track enemies from a distance! Searchlights are non-damaging, electric-powered turrets requiring Optics technology.

Content
3 years ago
1.0 - 1.1
Combat

g Flickering-Fix coming

2 years ago

Hi, just saw your video on xterminator's mod spotlight. Congrats on being featured!

I've been working on a similar mod to yours for quite some time, and noticed your searchlights have the same flickering effect mine do.

I just wanted to let you know that in the next factorio release, you should be able to use TurretPrototype::energy_glow_animation_flicker_strength to control the flickering as you see fit:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?p=554321#p554321

2 years ago

Thanks for letting me know about the featuring! I'm not sure in what direction to adjust the flicker strength, so I may leave it at the default value. Maybe it would be better for a weathered version that constantly sputters, for a post-apocalyptical feel?

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Oh that's a really cool idea. You could even make your lights look more improvised or worn-and-torn to suit.

If you want a heavy sputter, values of 0.8 - 1 are good.
If you want just a light flicker in brightness, 0.1 is nice and subtle.
0.2 - 0.7 didn't really appeal to me.

For my mod, I'm choosing 0 - no flicker at all. (Although I might switch to 0.1 if my mood changes)

New response