Sea Block

No ore patches, expand from a small island. Also install the 'Sea Block Pack - Official' mod for a complete modpack

Overhaul
2 months ago
0.14 - 1.1

g [Info] Thrichlorosilane processing create excess hydrogen

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Trichlorosilane (HCl3Si) processing require Hydrogen Cloride Gas (HCl) and processed silicon (Hydrogen Cloride Gas is made in equal parts from Hydrogen and Chlorine) and produce 120 units of Trichlorosilane and 30 units of Hydrogen, this means that an extra third of Hydrogen Gas is created as only 2/3 of it should be returned based on the chemical formula.

30xHCl + 10Si => (10H+30Cl+10Si) + 20H => 30HCl3Si + 20H (NB: Angelbob units seems to be based on the number of elements, so 30HCl are equivalent to 60 ingame, same thing for Trichlorosilane 30*(1H+3Cl+1Si) => 120)

Is this behavior intended?

Edit: my apologies, this is inherited from Angel

2 years ago

Hi MonoS94,
Ok, to start with... Silicon pellets will still have significant amounts of oxygen in it, so lets re-start that "balance" (I say balance, but the quantities are far from in a molar ratio to balance) [SiO2 ~60kg/kmol, HCl is ~36.5, HCl3Si is ~135.5 as an aside].

If we start with a 2:1 mix of SiO2 and Si and we have an amount equivalent to 10 units (3.333 SiO2 and 6.666 Si)
30 HCl + 10 Si_Pellet --> 10 HCl3Si + 3.33 H2 + 6.666 H2O
now if we look at the same reaction on a mass basis
38.7 Si_Pellet + 109.5 HCl --> 135.5 HCl3Si + 0.67 H2 + 12 H2O

While you clearly have had a deeper look into this reaction and made some assumptions around the basis for how angels works (which are not too far off), the angels team would rather tend towards a fun interpretation of somewhat real reactions (this reaction is typically only used in specialty chemicals IRL and not in silicon ore purification, but is a fun system). I don't really see an issue with this reaction at this point, lets call it intended.

I was writing this reply as my coffee was still kicking in, so it may seem a bit random and really only back-up your point... I have done a little digging and found this gem of a sentence

The production cost of Silicon is dependent on the quality provided. We need about 6 tons of raw material to produce 1 ton of silicon; 2.7 tons of Quartz, 1.5 tons of reductants (low ash coal or charcoal), 1.5 tons of wood. Another important cost component is energy with about 13,000 Kwh/t of silicon.

https://www.crmalliance.eu/silicon-metal#:~:text=Silicon%20metal%20is%20commonly%20produced,applicable%20in%20many%20industry%20processes.

The most kind of important thing (IMHO) with angels petrochem/bioprocessing/smelting mods is not realism, but creating curiosity and fun by taking inspiration from IRL processes without being too serious. If you are actively digging into reactions and processes as a result, that is a win in my book.

2 years ago

Hi MonoS94,
Ok, to start with... Silicon pellets will still have significant amounts of oxygen in it, so lets re-start that "balance" (I say balance, but the quantities are far from in a molar ratio to balance) [SiO2 ~60kg/kmol, HCl is ~36.5, HCl3Si is ~135.5 as an aside].

If we start with a 2:1 mix of SiO2 and Si and we have an amount equivalent to 10 units (3.333 SiO2 and 6.666 Si)
30 HCl + 10 Si_Pellet --> 10 HCl3Si + 3.33 H2 + 6.666 H2O
now if we look at the same reaction on a mass basis
38.7 Si_Pellet + 109.5 HCl --> 135.5 HCl3Si + 0.67 H2 + 12 H2O

While you clearly have had a deeper look into this reaction and made some assumptions around the basis for how angels works (which are not too far off), the angels team would rather tend towards a fun interpretation of somewhat real reactions (this reaction is typically only used in specialty chemicals IRL and not in silicon ore purification, but is a fun system). I don't really see an issue with this reaction at this point, lets call it intended.

I was writing this reply as my coffee was still kicking in, so it may seem a bit random and really only back-up your point... I have done a little digging and found this gem of a sentence
The production cost of Silicon is dependent on the quality provided. We need about 6 tons of raw material to produce 1 ton of silicon; 2.7 tons of Quartz, 1.5 tons of reductants (low ash coal or charcoal), 1.5 tons of wood. Another important cost component is energy with about 13,000 Kwh/t of silicon.
https://www.crmalliance.eu/silicon-metal#:~:text=Silicon%20metal%20is%20commonly%20produced,applicable%20in%20many%20industry%20processes.

The most kind of important thing (IMHO) with angels petrochem/bioprocessing/smelting mods is not realism, but creating curiosity and fun by taking inspiration from IRL processes without being too serious. If you are actively digging into reactions and processes as a result, that is a win in my book.

To be fair it seems you had a much deeper look that me on this process, what seemed strange is that in angelbob there are a lot of production line that allow to reuse byproduct of one step in a another step of the same production line (seablock even more so), aside from the reality of the real life process which i know is only used as a starting point, but in this case it seemed quite "egregious" and maybe an oversight, i've reported it in the forum, i don't think it will be fixed as it will break A LOT of factories and quite "not a problem" as hydrogen is a "free" molecule to produce.
The main reason i've noticed, and reported, this bug is because when i'd designed the silicon production block i had already implemented the hydrogen reuse using valve and when i tried to connect to the output of the chemical furnace the game returned me the error about pipe with different fluids and started digging, this because i've started my assumption on the molecular representation instead of the looking at the outputs, it was a fun night (well, it was dark outside, i don't know if i were closer to the sun setting or rising ;) )

New response