ScienceCostTweaker Mod (mexmer)

by mexmer

Allows the cost of research to be tweaked, in terms of count, science packs and time. Edit its configs costs *.lua to tweak the multipliers. - Original mod made by UberWafe, this is adopted version for factorio from version 0.16 until current

Tweaks
3 months ago
0.16 - 1.1

i Balancing military science assembler ratios

5 years ago

I've been looking at the number of intermediate assemblers used in the first couple sciences compared to how the military science equivalent does things and I'm left somewhat curious about the ratios.

Specifically, sciences 1, 2, and 3 all have equal numbers of intermediate assemblers for each "half" of the final science intermediate. 5 to 5 for science 1, 6 to 6 for 2, and 12 to 12 for 3 which line up perfectly with the amount of time each science itself takes to craft. However, military science doesn't. Its ratio is 2 weapons testing module assemblers to 20 kinetic test-target plating assemblers compared to the 6 second recipe time for the science itself which is actually less than the 10 seconds that the vanilla game has for military science.

I was originally thinking maybe the extra cost of processing the waste products might fit into the reasoning for the odd ratios, but science 3's is even and it certainly has the waste byproducts. Then there's high-tech and production sciences that have different ratios but they might get a bit of a pass due to being end game.

So perhaps a way to better align SCT military science with the other sciences is to make the weapons testing module side take 5 seconds each to craft, then lower the time it takes to make the kinetic test-target plating by half to 5 seconds and increase its sub-plate requirement to 10? That'd bring the module side up to 30 while the plate side is 20. Then make the science itself take 10 seconds to craft. That way it all lines up exactly like the other sciences while being larger than science 2.

For comparison, getting science 2 to run at 3 science per second with Assembler 2's takes 36 (technically 35 but I use an extra electromagnet coil assembler to even things out instead of doing 5 to 6) intermediate part assemblers compared to military's 6 for the weapons testing circuit side and 27 for the plating side (which more easily goes up to 30 since it's 7 sub-plates to 20 kinetic plates, so I'd just bump it up to 10 to make things even) which brings it up to 36 as well.

Thoughts?

5 years ago

That’s a good observation, i will definetly look into it. Tho’ keep in mind in sct military science is somewhere between t3 (blue) and t4 (hightech) eg. at production pack tier. That’s my approach to military and yes i know in vanilla it’s between t2 and t3.

i did allow millitary to be set to tier 2 (trough switch), but i don’t plan to do any balance changes, for lower tier setting.

This thread has been locked.