Scanning Radar

by Strath

A scanning radar that sweeps an arc. Control radius, speed, direction, and more with signals.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Combat

g Counterclockwise... *shivers*

6 years ago

Really nice idea :D.

Would you be so kind and add a clockwise rotation option. Counterclockwise is not compatible with my brain :P. A scanning speed option (per-map) might also be nice to have if it ever gets too performance heavy (i.e. when people spam it in multiplayer).

Also you should disable the console messages in release versions ;).

Btw, do you have a git/forum page?

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Do you know how much extra effort I had to go through to make it scan in the same direction as the vanilla radar rotation?! lol. I seriously considered rerolling the animations but decided to just swap a few '+' and '-'. I would prefer to have it clockwise myself but felt that it would break immersion to have it scan counter to the animation. I will certainly revisit this.

Scanning speed control is a planned feature. It was getting late last night and I wanted to get the mod out there to get feedback from the community.

Ok, I did did miss one temporary debug output announcing the quadrant and chunk position deviation from the true circle. The offending line has been dealt with and will no-longer trouble the world once a new release goes live.

Regarding git/forum: I may have made an account at some point... I'll have to look. I'll link it once it is established.
[edit]
Created a forum topic for this mod:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=58659

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Oh, and thanks for the stepping OnTick with modulo and stride from
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=52407
You've got a shout out in the code :)
(yes, I know there is less than optimal hacks used in the code, it'll get fixed)

6 years ago

Nope. No clue how much extra effort that is :P. I assumed that changing the direction would be nothing more than swapping a - with a + somewhere. I didn't actually look at the radar entity animation. And as runtime-per-map settings can't change animations anyway i wouldn't mind. And i doubt most people frequently look at the radar entity animation. Weird enough the radar entity uses pictures and not animations, so it doesn't support run_mode = 'backward' :/.

By the way (just tested to be sure) the vanilla radar scans clockwise, even though the animation is ccw.

Also heh, nice to know that people like that bit of code, or even recognice my name :P.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Hey, it wasn't as easy as just changing a couple '+' and '-', I ALSO had to flip the scanning overlay graphic horizontally for the icons ;)

6 years ago

Well. Then maybe you can start this by flipping the screenshot on the mod portal :P.

6 years ago

Since you are persistent.... Released a new version in which direction can be configured, either Counterclockwise or Eradicatorwise

6 years ago

You the man Strath, thanks!

New response