My Trains (Alpha) deprecated

by kiasyn

A simple, easy-to-use, no circuits required train scheduler for people who just want their trains to work.

Content
4 years ago
Trains

g Looks very promising!

4 years ago

This looks awesome but I need to be able to request a specific amount of resources to a requester. If I could wire my receiving chests to your stop (so that your stop could see their contents) and then set a request amount in your GUI that would be awesome. Also, have you seen LTN Tracker? Can you add an overview panel like that? :)

Also, is it okay if my depot empties the train of junk just to keep it clean, or will this interrupt something?

And lastly, can I provide "*", whatever is in the chests at a provider? How do I set my inserter filters?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi, thanks for having a look.

At the moment I don't do anything with circuits. I will probably slowly introduce this, but the purpose of the mod is to be simple to use, so I don't want to overcomplicate things.

Regarding my stops seeing the contents, I don't think this is something I will support. Maybe better suited to LTN?
I may end up allowing an item count instead of just fill train all the time though. This would just be a number configured on the stop and added to the train schedule as an item_count condition.

Depot emptying the train of junk... should be fine. The conductor runs every 120 ticks and builds a list of available trains and their contents. If you have a single resource in the train though, you may be better off just leaving it in the depot, then it will get reused when that resource is called for.

Providing * is not supported at the moment, it may be something I add in the future.

I hadn't seen LTN tracker, but I do have something similar:

https://i.imgur.com/jr2TuOU.png
https://i.imgur.com/WiKQV4l.png
https://i.imgur.com/UYuDGgw.png

Thanks!

4 years ago

Indeed this is looks promising, currently i don't plan to use it, but i surely will testing it on my next playthrough.

This is like the best of two world IMO, namely LTN and TSM (Train Supply Manager).
Namely it can recognize and limit based on train length, but it has the simplicity like TSM offer.

But i do wonder if this as light on the UPS like TSM ?
(TSM current version is already very light weight, and the author said the upcoming 0.5X version of TSM is even more UPS friendly)

But in all three, including this one they all still rely on the unique name over the train stop (supply/request).

If only they can work with Concurrent Trains Restriction Mod (CTR), it would be awesome !
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ConcurrentTrainRestriction

CTR didn't care about same name, it sees number of train that trying to reach the station, put a threshold.
As a result, i don't have 300+ unique train stop name, since 90% of them shared the same name.
Just throwing it out, doesn't mean i ask support for CTR, (plus i dismantled CTR since it has particular problem, but will wait for further development)

4 years ago

I didn't have any UPS problems, but I only had maybe 10-20 train stops and 50-70 trains. I don't have a map with more on it to test. In my tests the dispatcher would complete in a fraction of a millisecond.
So, on a very large map? Unknown.

The reason LTN and this mod require unique train stop names is because we just create a schedule for the train and then rely on factorio to route the train. It looks like CTR works around this by creating invisible train stops and scheduling trains to go there. This may be something I could incorporate in the future (without requiring CTR).

Currently this mod supporting CTR wouldn't make any sense anyway, as you specify the number of trains you want on the stop and the dispatcher would ensure there are never more than that number of trains anyway.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

It would be very awesome if you can create CTR function in this mod, i would switch any train mod to this in a heartbeat.

It's just too head ache (for me, in big map) to keep track the trains stop name, even with as simple as adding increment number.
Just imagine as you play, and then you create new outpost/sub base, i don't remember what the last number i use.
So i need to scroll the station list, and it's huge long list, just to figure out what the next number to use.
Rinse and repeat for each resources (not just ore, but every product i ship with train), you'll see it's such hassle.
Blueprint with name stop is practically useless.

Technically speaking, there's no need for naming the station, just using the default random backer name will do the job, since it will give unique identifier.
But no one do that does it ?

Well that's just me on big map. In a small map, most player wouldn't notice the "problem".
I sincerely hope you have time to further develop this mod to have CTR function
(the dev kinda want to add this train limit /CTR feature in Factorio 0.15; but for some reason, idk what happened,..well...we still don't have it today).

4 years ago

@ kyoshiharu I have found a very easy way to do allow train stop names to be the same so that will be in my next release :)

4 years ago

And lastly, can I provide "*", whatever is in the chests at a provider?
@ guvnor this will be supported in the next release. To use it, leave the resource on the supplier stop blank and feed in a resource via circuit

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

No way,..No way...Oh man,..this is unbelievable !

I've been playing with many mods testing this and that, literally have tried every single train manager mod out here.
And nothing satisfied me the way CTR does, it's so dead simple, yet so powerful given it can dynamically adjust number of train dispatched, based on signal.
Albeit it has UPS problem with huge train network
(the reason i dismantled it; currently using my own vanilla system with train count method).

IF this is not some kind evil joke😁,,...and Sam's train able to do what CTR does (plus more since it can support train length and all), then it's the #1 train manager out here.

The way i see it (i haven't install this mod yet, only based on GUI you posted), it doesn't support circuit (yet?),
So i cannot configure dynamically the number that need to be dispatched (Eg : Sum Fluid Storage tank is 75000 in the Consumer, if it's reach below 25000, sent two worth of train (50000 fluid).

Regardless, the ability to use same name is already a clear winner to me over any other train manager. 😍

EDIT :
New version it's up already ! Wohoo !
10/10 gonna use it NOW.
Will provide feedback if necessary, probably tomorrow, since this would overhaul my whole network.
Plus this can serve as a test of the UPS usage.

4 years ago

New version it's up already ! Wohoo !
10/10 gonna use it NOW.

There is currently a bug which I will fix later tonight, see here for details https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/cv2e3l/just_released_my_mod_sams_trains_a_simple/ey5nbw8/?context=3

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Yeah, there's some kind of blueprint bug also.
Plus i didn't managed to make it work somehow.....i need time to figure out the mod logic.
But it's a good experience, since i'm new, i can provide insight how new player perceive trying to use this mod.

Edit :
Aahh, figure out what went wrong. This mod is based on consumer demand.
If there's no demand, and the train were empty in the depot, they will not get sent to fill their tank to supplier.

Thus on my test setup, since i put a hold on the demand, no train is sent to supply station.

There is another thing, but probably the same bug you will working on.

On my test, 3 of 16 train never get sent despite they having the resources.
The train limit is not working either (kinda, but the opposite), but i will get into that later, since you have to deal with more important bug.
And there's GUI bug, same as above, i will get to it once you deal with more pressing issue.
Or perhaps it will become part of the next release fixing due they actually the side effect of same bug ?

4 years ago

There is currently a bug which I will fix later tonight, see here for details https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/cv2e3l/just_released_my_mod_sams_trains_a_simple/ey5nbw8/?context=3

This bug should now be fixed in the latest version.
The blueprint bug should also be fixed.
Feel free to make new topics (this topic is getting very long) for any issues you find, then I can fix a bunch at once instead of one by one.

4 years ago

Got it, i will accumulate what bug/quirkiness that i can find and post in a new thread.
Probably tomorrow.

New response