|Created:||1 year, 3 months ago|
|Latest Version:||0.0.6 (2 months ago)|
|Factorio version:||0.16 - 0.17|
This mod was heavily influenced by staviq's NiceFill mod which uses a clone of the map to generate landfill that blends with the terrain. This mod takes that concept one step further and re-paints the terrain tiles for an entire map from a twin map. Why you might ask? Simple - get rid of terrain tearing between things like desert and grass from worlds that were upgraded between versions with different terrain generation. As you explore in the new version all new chunks will match what was re-painted.
Before I get to the details, please note - this mod is NOT magic, if there was a perfect way to re-paint a map using new generation then the devs would have done it (as well as Mojang with minecraft, etc.), but this should be better than nothing.
A few notes:
How to use this mod
Simple. Install it / drop it in your mod folder, load your world, wait for it to complete (it will show a % complete as it runs), save your world, and then remove the mod. If you open that world again, the re-painting will happen again (though presumably nothing will change).
What does this mod change?
Normal terrain tiles - desert, grass, etc. will be changed to match whatever 0.16's version of that map string/settings would have been.
What does this mod NOT change?
- Water - if you have terrain tearing on water bodies I chose to not attempt to do anything with those as I cannot tell if that is natural or not easily and I wouldn't want to try and "correct' someone's intentionally straight coast line
- Trees - they will stay where they are. This may be a bit odd if you had a forest full of trees where a desert now is - your sand tiles will have all of those trees. But you know... nukes...
- Ore / oil / etc. patches
- This is a fairly heavy hitting mod performance wise - while running your map WILL grind to a halt (figure 0.1 UPS) as it re-paints the world. As soon as it is done (it will say in chat), simply save your world, remove the mod, restart and continue play.
- This will almost certainly increase your save file size - how much is hard to predict but in a few tests it increased 10-30%
- This mod will regenerate decoratives at the end of its run on the terrain to make it look natural. it will then go and scrub that from vanilla tiles like concrete/brick/etc.. I have not made it mod compatible to account for other types of user-placed tiles.