Placeables: Quickly show items in your inventory that you can build with!

A quickbar-inspired window that shows all items you can use for building that is currently in your inventory. Designed for use with megamods (Pyanodon's, Bob's, and Angel's for example) that add so many buildings that the quickbar can't handle them all.

Utilities
2 months ago
0.18 - 1.1

i You know what'd be neat?

1 year, 9 months ago

If you could hide certain placeables in that menu. Somehow.

1 year, 9 months ago
(updated 1 year, 9 months ago)

I think it could be possible, but it would take a good amount of effort to do so. (mainly because I'm bad at making mods lol)
Currently what is allowed and not allowed is not tied to players, so I would have to create a table of allowed/dissallowed items per player. I do have a couple other tiny issues that might be fixed by a more major re-write of stuff, so I could try working that in when I have the time to do so.

The problem would be how to give the player the option to hide something, maybe ctrl-click a button? Then probably just add a button to unhide all on the top...

Also, holy smokes is it a small world. I loved Litcube's Universe. Still do a playthrough with that once in a while. Gosh now I'm itching to play it again XD

1 year, 9 months ago

LOL. It is a small world!

1 year, 9 months ago

I was thinking again, by accident. A version of this that could mirror your locked inventory cells. By locked, I mean when you middle mouse over an item. That would be an easy way to detirmine what placeables from your inventory would show up on the placeables window. That said, I don't know if you can poll for locked inventory items in script.

1 year, 9 months ago
(updated 1 year, 9 months ago)

That kinda goes outside the scope of things, as Placeables is meant to deal with an ever-changing inventory. For example, when you handcraft a single water pump and don't want to go back into your inventory menu to grab it after its done crafting, or when you use a mod like Bluegistics to completely change what items are in your inventory all at once.

Though I think the biggest problem would be polling the players inventory for locked inventory slots and keeping track of all that. The only reason Placeables doesn't have much of a performance impact is because the API gives a way to get a list of all items without having to manually check every stack and add everything up yourself. It will just magically tell me that the player has '1332 iron plates' and stuff like that. Without that functionality from the API, the mod wouldnt be viable.

Looping through a players inventory to find out what slots are locked would for sure be a big performance hit. Plus, if all it did was show items locked in your inventory, it would just be more of a big moveable hotbar, which could still be a good idea for a mod though.

Blacklisting items, as in the original idea you had, I do think would be quite good for this mod to have though. I don't think it would have much of a performance impact, I just need to eventually have the time and willpower to try to shove it in XD

New response