Patchwork Overhaul

by nobake

This modpack combines a bunch of standalone mods with the intention to create a full game overhaul comparable to some of the more well-known big mods. New resources, mining and smelting, oil processing, power, science, and more.

Mod packs
2 years ago
0.18 - 1.1

g The looks really, really good.

3 years ago

I'm definitely going to add this to my playthrough list after Krastorio. I'm a serial mod installer and am constantly trying out different mods, but the balance between them is the hardest part because some do it well, and others add a 500 speed train with only 1000 weight that only needs 5 iron plates to make. If I had the knowledge, time, and patience to create a mod pack like you, I'd do it.

Another mod you might want to look into is Food Industry 2. It gives you some fun buff mechanics once you can set it all up, and you can turn off the optional energy drain if you don't like that. Also recommend turning down the energy drain percentage if you do plan on using it. Overall adds some good survival mechanics. If you use RSO, you'll need to use Resouce Spawning ingame to generate some pure water needed, as RSO fails to generate it.

Cold Biters, Explosive biters, Natural Evolution Enemies, Bob's Enemies, Rampant, Schall Alien Mutation, Schall Endgame Evolution are all biter mods I have installed (although I'm not sure if they actually all work together because Rampant might be taking over).

Train and Fuel Overhaul, when editing the trains to be heavier, adds some nice sense of realism and weight to them while adding some more trains and wagons. Wish more train mods were balanced like this one. 6x weight and 2x power is where I set them at (Looking back, I guess 3x and 1x would be the same haha).

Rocket Silo Construction makes the rocket silo a multi-stage building that is really really cool mechanically.

Deep Core Mining (with Noxy's Deep Core mining tweak for balance) is another ore lifetime extending mod, similar to Prospector, but infinite. Prospector is neat in that regard, too, which is what you currently have of course.

Robot Tree Farm let's you plant trees, helping combat pollution. Noxy's Trees alongside it adds natural tree expansion that also naturally helps pollution.

Robot Attrition adds some configurable robot crashes, adding some additional production there.

Would also recommend creating something like a separate "Patchwork QOL" containing all the necessities like FNEI, Helmod, Bottleneck, Shortcuts, LTN, etc, and another for things like visual/audio changes Dectorio, Asphalt, Alien Biomes, Text Plates, Hazard Lights.

3 years ago

Thank you very much! Though most of the work is done by the other mods, it's still a lot of effort to get them to play together somewhat smoothly. I'm working on the next version with some fixes and improvements, but the pack is nearly where I want it to be.

As to your suggestions:

• Food Industry 2 looks like an interesting mod, though not what I'm looking for in this pack.
  • The various biter mods you listed should all work with this pack, and absolutely use them if you want upgraded biters. I don't want to include anything that easily becomes oppressive early game, but I am likely going to add Swarmageddon in the next version to give mid-to-late biter scaling a slight boost.
  • I'm personally relatively happy with how vanilla trains feel - if anything I'd prefer acceleration to be faster.
  • Rocket Silo Construction is an idea I'm definitely interested in. I paged through literally every mod on the portal when I was planning this pack and somehow missed this one. Will try it out and add if I like it.
  • Deep Core Mining is a mod that I definitely like and included in earlier (unpublished) versions. Ultimately I decided it just one too many ways to get more resources. But if there's integration work to be done I may add it into the Stitching mod, just not require it here.
  • Robot Tree Farm... on one hand I'm like "More trees in the way? Ick!" and "This overlaps too much with Arborium and Pollution Solutions." On the other hand, I like the idea as a potential alternative to Pollution Solutions, since there won't be any xenomass loot to contend with.
  • Robot Attrition, being completely honest, is the primary reason I haven't tried Space Exploration yet. The concept just disagrees with me on a fundamental level. But to throw a couple recommendations back at you, Mylon has a another couple mods you might enjoy. Bot Servicing is a similar idea to Robot Attrition where bots break down and have to be repaired, and Assembler Assay does a similar thing for assemblers.
  • I do have a QOL pack I use locally for convenience. I have said that it isn't my place to dicate what QOL mods people use, as that is very much a personal preference thing. But I suppose there's nothing wrong doing a separate pack just to say "This is what I use. If it works for you, great!" Cosmetic mods though, I never use them.

Most of those responses ended up being "no," but I really do appreciate the ideas.

New response