Next Gen Evolution

by Qon

Nests absorbing pollution causes evolution to increase instead of when it is produced. An improvement to vanilla pollution evolution behaviour. Default values are balanced to allow you to turn vanilla pollution evolution factor off without changing difficulty but everything is Qonfigurable. Doesn't impact UPS. /ngevolution to see evolution factor

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

g Evolution Question

4 years ago

Does the mod cause evolution to go down for any reason?
My current game the evolution is going down and I don't think it's because of what I'm doing with NE Buildings.

Thanks.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

If evolution factor settings (mod settings > global map settings) are negative then yes, those negative factors will make evolution factor go down. If evolution factor is exactly 1 (100%) then it won't go down though since all changes are proportional to the difference between 1 and current EF (since the mod follows the vanilla evolution model that works like that).

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

My evolution is crashing. It's gone from close to 60% to 20%.

It would be nice if you could see how much the tree absorption reduced the evolution. I added something like that in NE Buildings to show the deduction from the Terraforming Stations.

It's a large map so a lot of Pollution being absorbed I think.
All settings were default:
Settings

4 years ago

Can you provide full list of mods?
Vanilla doesn't support negative evolution-from-time factor via map settings or even via console.

4 years ago

Not sure what the easyiest is to get you this. Here is a save, mod list and settings:

List:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6w39i34yb9zmn9/mod-list.json?dl=0

Settings:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iil7ylpspumjlou/mod-settings.dat?dl=0

Save:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbkym9ifm085dca/3.zip?dl=0

I did a search on all the mods for "game.forces.enemy.evolution_factor" and I believe that only this mod and NE Buildings have that, besides EvoGUI. I had two running Terraforming stations, but even after removing them, the evo was dropping.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Mods might not include the exact string

game.forces.enemy.evolution_factor

though... Example:

local e = game.forces.enemy
e.evolution_factor = e.evolution_factor * 0.9

I guess I'm going to have to add some kind of stats so that I at least can tell if my mod is to blame.

4 years ago

after adding this mod and using air filters, evolution goes backwards. if i shut off the air filters and allow pollution to climb, the bugs evolve. I've been stuck with Level 3 bugs for a week now despite ramping up production (and air filtering). I would like it if they didn't go backwards.

4 years ago

Feels like I've answered this before. Instead of me just repeating myself tell me what part you didn't understand or why it doesn't apply to your situation.

4 years ago

because there is no 'evolution factor' setting, the only one is -3 for absorbed by healthy trees, but air filters are not trees.

4 years ago

Sorry for late response. I've been really busy. And I will be in the future also. But I'm hoping to update my mods to Factorio 0.18 soon. I haven't touched the game in a while :/ and I can't really test anything to answer your question before I've updated Factorio and the mod etc.

4 years ago

It must be not soon updated while nobody has asked about it.

4 years ago

I don't understand what you wrote. Are you telling me to not update the mod for 0.18 or to check for buggy mod interactions?

4 years ago

I hope you update it to 0.18 if you can. Wanted to try this out on my next game (though still debating what settings to use - I typically avoid damaging trees even in vanilla when possible because dead trees look ugly, but I think that means the defaults will be too easy for me).

4 years ago

The defaults are a bit easier than vanilla default if you clear out nests from your pollution cloud and don't cut your trees down. It is a bit harder than vanilla defaults if you do the opposite (which is the point of the mod). If you want to make it harder then setting 'nature-absorb' to 0 instead if -3 is a good start. But increasing any of them can lead to interesting results, all different depending on which one you go with. 'natives-killed' at non-zero has the potential to make it really hardcore since you can then get punished for defending yourself.

New response