Chop down trees within area

Content
3 years ago
0.15 - 1.0
Mining

b Crash on map load.

3 years ago

Factorio 0.18.47

The mod Lumberjack (18.1.0) caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event Lumberjack::on_load()
Lumberjack/helpers/actor.lua:101: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
Lumberjack/helpers/actor.lua:101: in function 'load_persisted_actors'
Lumberjack/control.lua:21: in function <Lumberjack/control.lua:20>

3 years ago

I can't replicate this problem.. are you using any other mods ?

3 years ago

Yes.

base
aai-programmable-structures
aai-signals
aai-zones
alien-biomes
all-tiles-stack-1k
AllMinable
AllNightVision
AlmostInvisibleElectricWires
artillery-bombardment-remote
autobuild
AutoDeconstruct
AutoFilter
Auto_Deploy_Destroyers
auto_manual_mode
BlueprintExtensions
breakable-landfill
bullet-trails
ChangeMapSettings
ChunkyChunks
Clean_Tree_Burning
ClearSkiesOfPeace
Concretexture
ConcurrentTrainRestriction
conman
CoverupFIX
ctg
Dirt_Path
DiscoScience
DoRobotsBuildAutomaticTrains
DynamicConstructionQueue
early_construction
Enhanced_Map_Colors
eradicators-sudo
event-listener
Gandalf
GhostBuster
GhostInHand
GhostScanner
GrandImperialLaserTurret
HandyHands
Hazard-Lights
IceOre
InfiniteInventory
Infinizoom
inland_pumps
ixuBottleneck
LaboriousLaboratory
lamp-placer
LandmineGridlock
LD_AutoCircuit
leighzerburiedscience
leighzermorphite
leighzerscienceores
lightArtillery
lightorio
long-reach
LootChestPlus
LootMilitaryScience
LuaCombinator3
miniloader
more-minimap-autohide-017
Nanobots
NapalmArtillery
NextGenEvolution
Nightfall
nixie-tubes
Noxys_Extra_Settings_Info
Noxys_Trees
OpteraLib
Orbital Ion Cannon
Peppermint_Mining
PickerDollies
power-grid-comb
Pro-Flashlight
pushbutton
RadarMarker
rainbow-player-color
RampantArsenal
RealisticFlashlight
recursive-blueprints
regenerate-terrain
ReloadMods
remote-switch
robot-recall
RoboTank
robotarmy
romulinhosresearchqueuealwaystrue
scan-rocket-with-radars
SchallLampContrast
ShockTurret
SmoothWarnings
some-corpsemarker
Squeak Through
stdlib
TrainSkipFulfilledStation
Underneathies
uniturret
utility-combinators
VehicleSnap
VehicleVaulting
visual-signals
VoidChestPlus
walkable-beacons
Waterfill_v17
WaterTurret
WellPlanner
WireShortcuts
wood-stack-1k

3 years ago

Wow.. almost as many mods as me. It's obviously a compatibility issue with one of those mods, but without testing each one I can't see which. Can you try a couple of things:
- can you start a new map without an error ?
- If you disable the lumberjack mod, does the map then load ok (but without all your lumberjack objects) ?
- If you immediately save the game (with the lumberjack mod disabled), and then re-enable the lumberjack mod, does it then load 2nd time ?

Sorry, I don't have the time to test this against every mod combination, and so need your help to narrow down the issue.

3 years ago

Wow.. almost as many mods as me.

These are just the enabled ones (except lumberjack)...

• can you start a new map without an error ?

Yes.

• If you disable the lumberjack mod, does the map then load ok (but without all your lumberjack objects) ?

Yes.

• If you immediately save the game (with the lumberjack mod disabled), and then re-enable the lumberjack mod, does it then load 2nd time ?

Yes. The map that doesn't work with Lumberjack works with it if I save it without Lumberjack and then re-enable the mod.

3 years ago

Great.. must have been another mod trying to do an update which caused the problem, so it's unlikely we'll ever find it. Glad it's working again for you now.. sorry for the inconvenience (although in my defence, it was another mod which caused the problem - lol)

3 years ago

Great.. must have been another mod trying to do an update which caused the problem, so it's unlikely we'll ever find it. Glad it's working again for you now.. sorry for the inconvenience (although in my defence, it was another mod which caused the problem - lol)

You can't blame it on another mod.

That piece of code only acts on data in the global table. Each mod has their own global and can't possibly interfere with other mods.

Also none of my tests were done with any other mod disabled. It was Lumberjack that I disabled. That means I got it working by destroying all Lumberjack data, because Lumberjack had corrupted it. The tests don't show that at all. To show that another mod interferes I should load the save with only Lumberjack installed and see if it is is working then. But even if it did work then the mod should never crash, ever. It is basically always the crashing mods fault that it crashes, except for some extreme fringe cases that don't apply to regular mods like this one.

3 years ago

You can't blame it on another mod.

That piece of code only acts on data in the global table. Each mod has their own global and can't possibly interfere with other mods.

Also none of my tests were done with any other mod disabled. It was Lumberjack that I disabled. That means I got it working by destroying all Lumberjack data, because Lumberjack had corrupted it. The tests don't show that at all. To show that another mod interferes I should load the save with only Lumberjack installed and see if it is is working then. But even if it did work then the mod should never crash, ever. It is basically always the crashing mods fault that it crashes, except for some extreme fringe cases that don't apply to regular mods like this one.

Perhaps you need to understand coding and how it interacts in factorio. I can blame it on another mod, because if nothing else I haven't updated my code in months. Yes, the problem was in the lumberjack code, but it was specifically caused by an interaction with another mod, which was changed. How would I be able to code for a change made in another mod, where I have no idea which mod it was or what change ? When other mods update, they sometimes run upgrade scripts to change some of their code between versions. It was almost certainly their upgrade code which caused the crash, and disabling lumberjack allowed that code to run, and then you could re-enable lumberjack. Since it was probably the upgrade code, the only way to test this would be using the exact save you had before running that code, as the problem doesn't recur. You barely provided me any information, and so there is no way to resolve this, especially considering all those mods.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I can blame it on another mod, because if nothing else I haven't updated my code in months.

The game has been updated though. And bugs can occur "randomly" and seldom. I guess you can call "base" a mod that was updated and broke your mod?

Yes, the problem was in the lumberjack code

:)

but it was specifically caused by an interaction with another mod, which was changed.

I just tested now, even though I read the code already and saw that there was no mod interaction. The the mod crashes when I load the save with only LumberJack enabled (and base ofc).

Perhaps you need to understand coding and how it interacts in factorio.

I'm a programmer and a modder too. And since I diagnosed the problem and correctly found out it wasn't due to mod interaction just from a few seconds of reading the code you could probably safely assume I know the mod API well.

You barely provided me any information, and so there is no way to resolve this

I answered all your questions and did your tests. I was kind of confused that you didn't ask for the correct test (disabling any mod other than Lumberjack) but I did as you asked. I have now executed the correct test. And I'm uploading the savefile too so you can see if you can fix it yourself. Even though you didn't ask for it before

https://www3.zippyshare.com/v/GhyLrYHe/file.html

and so there is no way to resolve this, especially considering all those mods.

Other mods not needed.

New response