LaboriousLaboratory - Research by drinking the science packs! deprecated

by Qon

Manually achieve technological prowess without a lab! Why automate research when it can be a slow and laborious process that you have to micromanage? Maybe automate it with my mod HandyHands for extra silliness?

Utilities
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18

i This looks promising, but...

3 years ago

There should be a configurable blacklist for blacklisting certain "science" packs [I.E. Tenemut from Dark Matter Replicators]. I do appreciate the premise behind this mod, but I don't think it'd be right to allow some players to just bypass using a Dark Matter Scanner [or whatever their personal lab is] to activate recipes for their replicators.

3 years ago

DMR has special science packs that can only be used in special labs, and those labs are hard to get? Isn't scientific progress limited much more by the amount of packs you can craft in that mod also, which means it doesn't really matter if you need one lab less? And even so, that sounds like late game research which you would never be able to complete in decent time with a single lab (you, drinking the science packs) anyways? Or are you typically only using a single lab of that exotic type then? Sounds like (without any experience with DMR) LaboriousLaboratory isn't going to upset the balance if those scenarious don't apply to some extreme degree.

You can use the LL settings to rebalance the mod to make it weaker or more powerful as you like also btw.

3 years ago

They are not hard to get. The labs aren't, at least. And the packs are ores. So yeah, uh, not really realistic to eat a dark matter ore which could tear you apart from the inside. And I realize that; I've messed with the settings for myself, but there is no blacklist option.

3 years ago

I like that you engage with the lore. But it doesn't upset the balance, so I don't think a balance patch is necessary. The flavour text is really just that, mechanically it's not really a part of it. It's just using the handcrafting mechanic to get slow research progress from science packs to make you a walking lab.

It's a fun way to imagine the hand cranked science works. The workaholic that drinks the weird 'science' liquids, it fits vanilla factorio science packs. But you can imagine that he bangs the rocks together or has a secure miniomnilab in his pocket or whatever else you want that doesn't involve ingesting (even more) dangerous substances, and inspect the results to manually get technological progress fromthe other kinds of science packs. I'm not going to make flavour text included in the mod for all kinds of mod interactions, but we can talk about what the manual process might be here.

You can also avoid crafting the "Technological Progress!" thing when researching things that require weird science packs, or using the settings to make it weaker. The 'drinking' part was never meant to have any gameplay influence.

What do you think would be a good explanation for how manual research is done with DMR packs?

3 years ago

Hmm... I wasn't asking for a balace patch, I was asking for an option to be added to allow blacklisting of certain packs.

New response