Goldsword44's JunkRails

Adds weak tier 0 trains with much lower tech requirements, but more limits. Graphics by kaueNP and d3x0r!

Content
6 years ago
0.13 - 0.16
Trains

b JunkTrain_0.0.4 no longer works with factorio 0.14.4

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

error message on starting factorio (and return to desktop):

Error while loading entity prototype "JunkTrain" (locomotive): No such node (vertical_selection_shift)
Modifications: JunkTrain

i think they added some new property for vehicles (or at least for trains) and several mods need adjustments. but is it a bug in factorio that on such an error it doesn't disable the mod so that people can delete or toggle the mod ingame (and instead have to go to the mod folder and delete the mod or edit the mod-list.json file: search for junkrail and change the following line from true to false) ?

7 years ago

I'll be updating soonish then, I've been fiddling with electric trains

7 years ago

fix it now!

7 years ago

Also got this error... pity, looked fun

7 years ago

Been super busy, finally got around to fixing this up for versions beyond 14.2, please enjoy the updated version and report any other bugs!

7 years ago

Thank you.

Would you like some better graphics?
If you kindly ask in forums.factorio.com maybe some skilled artist would help you.

7 years ago

re: Graphics - while that's true, this mod has the most hilarious kit-bash graphics I've yet seen from a Factorio mod :)

7 years ago

Tempting but I kinda like the way it looks as it fits the name XD It's supposed to look like a cobbled together device that barely holds itself together.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

too bad that this portal doesn't allow subscriptions to mods and/or threads like this. thus i often don't see answers in time ... anyway, i finished getting most achievements (only the three speedruns are missing), and thus am starting modded games again, and thus also finding this mod again :-)

Been super busy, finally got around to fixing this up for versions beyond 14.2, please enjoy the updated version and report any other bugs!

yes, here are two replies to this, using 0.14.20 now:
1. starting a new game with this mod is working now. thanks
2. when i wanted to research this junkrail tech, the icons are bad or even missing completely: the icon for the tech itself only shows the topleft quadrant of the icon, and at "effects", i see 4 squares of which two are empty without icons: first is a rail icon with text "2x curved scrap rails" (did you really re-implement curved rails and how do i build a straight track), second ("junk train") has no icon, third ("train stop") looks ok, and the fourth ("portable chest") is an empty square without icon again.

Since resources in the base area are very scarce on my map, this mod comes very handy to transport resources to my base at a very early stage (barely started red science) ... researching the tech now while writing this text :-)

edit: I have used the train now, and it looks really nice and works well, besides the missing icons. those icons are not only missing when selecting the tech, but also in the craft window and when i have the engine and the wagon in my inventory: only a grey square can be seen, in the inventory and (if i have enough resources to make one) also in the craft window with some number on it, but completely invisible in the craft window if i don't have enough resources.

imho, the engine and the wagons also need some adjustment of their sprite offsets: the engine looks as if it doesn't drive on rails but 2 or 3 pixels too far to the south (seen when the train drives from east to west). and the attachment part of the first wagon looks a bit strange too, as if it would be on top of the engine but not attached to its rear.

but all this are minor adjustments and overall i love the looks of the junk train !

one last strange effect : when i mouseover the engine and wagons, i am shown a yellow rectangle of length 3 for the engine and length 5 for the wagons. thus i would assume that inserters can load the train only in that range (and for a handicapped junk train, such a limit would be ok, maybe even a limit to 2 for the engine's coal and 4 for loading wagons, since 4 also would match the coverage by small power poles while the "normal" trains' 6 accessible tiles match the coverage of medium poles). but when hovering over the signal or trying to place an inserter, the usual white frame is shown with the usual length of 7 tiles, and (also as usual) 6 of those 7 tiles are usable for loading. only for UNloading, it is restricted to 5 usable tiles, just as i had expected for loading AND unloading. and the location of those 5 or 6 tiles doesn't match the white frame well: white frame from tile 2 to 7 of the wagon, and yellow frame from tile 2 to 6, unloading matches the yellow frame at tile 2 to 6, but loading matches neither frame ("loading 1 to 6" instead of "yellow loading 2 to 6" or "white loading 2 to 7"). did you accidentally subtract 1 from the front of the wagon instead of from the rear end when looking for positions of inserters ?

sorry for the long text, but since i couldn't post (here in the portal) a picture of what i mean, i had to describe it in detail ...

7 years ago

I think I understood it :) Thanks for the feedback I'll see what I can do to fix up the engine as that's kinda weird, and I'll be fixing the icons soon. I'm glad your able to enjoy the mod. Also I did indeed clone the normal and curved rails to create the fragile variant that is the junk rails, I may add graphics for them in the next patch!

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

i tested again, and with more details, and it gets stranger and stranger ...

i assume (and if that is not the case, then i suggest) that the junk train should be compatible with normal trains so that engines, wagons and also rails can be replaced by each other to more easily upgrade (or downgrade) train networks. thus i did the following test:

(when counting tiles, the signal is at tile 1+2 at the start of the train)
when setting up a normal diesel engine with 5 normal wagons, the pattern repeats every 7 tiles: tile 1 is a gap, next 6 tiles can be used for loading AND unloading (fuel only on the engine, anything for wagons), tile 8 is a gap, next 6 tiles for loading and unloading again, repeat for ALL wagons.
when adding junk wagons to a normal engine, ALMOST the same pattern applies (only for LOADING), but the fourth wagon loads only from 5 instead of 6 tiles (tile 30-34 instead of 30-35), then again gap plus 6 tiles, etc so that everything is shifted by 1 tile from here onwards (i didn't check for longer trains than 5 wagons).
when UNloading this same train a different pattern appears: all wagons that load from 6 tiles now unload only to 5 tiles with additional gaps. at the first wagon the additional gap is before the 5 tiles for unloading, at the second and third wagon the additional gap is behind the 5 tiles, and at the fourth which loads from 5 tiles only there is no additional gap when unloading to 5 tiles. maybe the pattern then repeats since the fifth wagon is like the first (additional gap before the 5 tiles).
in summary, the pattern with junk trains seems to be no multiple of 7 tiles, but a little less, so that everything is shifting around, maybe similar to the old patterns of version 0.12 or 0.13 !?

when using junk engine and junk wagons, additional mismatches appear for loading and unloading positions. the engine looks like it stops at tile 1 instead of tile 2 although it loads fuel just like normal engines (gap at 1, loading from 2-7, but unloading only at tile 2-6). the first gap between engine and first wagon seems to be missing, and thus ALL(?) wagons seem to have the same problems as described above, but in comparison to a diesel engine shifted forward (towards the engine) by one tile. this might also explain why it looked to me as if the first wagon was leaning on the engine instead of being behind it.

the above was tested with the trains going east, but a short look at the trains going south looked the same (or at least very similar) to the above too.

ps: maybe a forum thread for this mod would be nice, to enable easier discussions, suggestions and reports, including pictures, links, testversions, etc.
speaking of suggestions: it didn't take me long to build a normal train after i had built a junk train, and that is a lot faster and cheaper (fuel usage). I also needed signals (maybe even more important for a mainbase delivery system) and thus had to research normal trains first. but i would like to keep using these trains since they look nice for short distance transports between different parts of my main base. maybe there could be an upgrade for them, eg equipping them with electric engines and thus using less fuel and being a bit faster. there is a mod for electrifying vehicles, but that probably would also require a bigger grid.

7 years ago

I fix some things for this mods but goldaword44 dont have use my "graphics update" stay in one post in this portal

New response