Hydro Electric Power

Adds some starter and early game Hydroelectric power generation.

Content
1 year, 1 month ago
Power

g Looking for feedback - Ideas

1 year, 6 days ago
(updated 1 year, 6 days ago)

Hey everyone! ComputerComa here!
I just wanted to say thank you ... 8K downloads holy cow. For a silly little mod that I developed for the fun of it that's crazy.
That being said...
I was just wanting to collect some feedback / suggestions. If you have any.. Feel free to add them here.. or add an issue on GitHub (https://github.com/ComputerComa/Hydro-electric-power)
Thanks all!

10 months ago
(updated 10 months ago)

Hi!
So I haven't technically tried the mod because it's somewhat op beyond belief.
1- Steam engines use water rather than steam, which means not only energy is free resource-wise and pollution-wise, given a water source, but it's also logistically void of any challenge/Factorio-type of logistics.
I recommend necessitating steam, upping its consumption rate, upping the cost (and adding advanced items like engine units and heat pipes, etc...), hiding them behind a technology rather than being enabled from the start.
I recommend keeping vanilla power-per-water or some value around it, but upping the power means instead of 40 engines per a pump, it may become 30 or even 10 in really advanced tech, so modules become tiny but still require the same water input and logistics of such.
Regarding cost, I'd recommend you have a multiplier cost in mind, say 3. Say the first costs 80 iron plates (in gears and pipes forms), so look for a 160+ iron plate cost + other advanced components. Say 50 iron plates + 20 pipes (20 iron plates) + 10 steel (50 iron plates in normal cost), 20 gears (40 iron plates in normal cost) + 1 storage tank (70 iron plates in total) for a 230 iron plates cost in total, and better, include previous product in recipe. Otherwise, this feels so cheap, literally and figuratively.

For the high speed pump, cost is fine, but hide it behind a technology (say fluid handling and pumps) and preferably include a pump in recipe, and perhaps add a constraint or an obstacle on it, like requiring 2 MW of electricity (look for AAI Industries, he has one that works that way) and/or make it bigger. Normal pump is technically 1x2 but no 2 adjacent pumps could be places closer than every 2 heights (assuming they're pumping horizontally), so make it 3x2 or bigger. If you want a better idea, make it need a fluid (concept-wise it's a void or low pressure chamber, but in game it's just another fluid that the pump produces and can only be consumed by an assembly machine or stored in a tank). Technically you may destroy the tank of empty the fluid system, but that's a good start simulating somewhat a complex system.

Great mod in the end, but this is my feedback.

10 months ago

Hey thanks for the feedback! So The concept behind them is they're "hydroelectric turbines" (hence why they don't take steam...) The steam engine sprite is honestly just a placeholder until i can figure out how to create sprites and such. (I have an idea of what I'm looking for... think something like this https://media.istockphoto.com/id/173253021/photo/hydroelectric-power-station-turbines-hoover-dam-fuel-and-power-generation.webp?s=2048x2048&w=is&k=20&c=qUbQGW-FWijbZd-E0X27LQJ4bAGey6Wb2j5ndkvKHJM= I just am not good with art and stuff and am not really familiar with Factorio's engine enough to know how to make sprites). However I do agree that the technology is pretty cheap. I need to re-balance it. I have also thought about requiring the turbines to have a small amount of lubricant. Keep in mind the power output of the turbines is adjustable at runtime so if you feel like they are too cheat y it's adjustable to suit whatever your game play feels like :3 it's definitely not a final product and is 100% work in progress.
Thanks for your feedback, I will most definitely keep some of this in mind when I have time to work on updates.

10 months ago

It's not the (there is water) part that's the issue; you can rely on water and dismiss steam entirely (tho I don't know how realistic if you were going that path), rather it's the lack of process that's problematic. I, as a user, have to do something to get it; not get it for free. If you insist on keeping it as water, think of putting it in a recipe of some sort, an an input or a byproduct. Personally, the fluid system is really annoying for more-than-simple steam engine stuff. How about 2 buildings, the turbine that takes water and converts it to mechanical shaft, and the generator that converts the said to electricity? They have to be connected directly by a shaft, tho I don't know how feasible to implement that in Factorio as it doesn't have similar entity, and I want it to be directly adjacent to both, not separated by a second shaft or transmitted on a belt or pipe (as it doesn't make sense to transfer mechanical energy that way).

And speaking of art thing, never bother about it. I'm sure the community can deliver some rudimentary art, or you can draw very basic pixel-style stuff. The mod is more about the "modification" of the game than it is about the art it's presented in.

Thanks in advance and wish you success.

8 months ago

I'd really like a option to nerf them further as even 1mw per building is still too op, I'd like something like 0.250 and 1mv as options. I tried modding it myself but with how the mod is set up removing the limits from the slider doesn't fix it, in game they are still at minimum 1mv

Great mod tho, with some graphics like you mentioned it would be 10/10

8 months ago

Hello, i came here because i too got some concerns on how efficient the mod exactly is at making power.

I would like to offer 2 solutions on how to integrate this into factorio as if it was always part of the game:

• Multiple machines to generate pressure. Hydro turbines need large pressure to generate energy. I suggest making atleast a pressurized tank building and a pressurizer that uses electricity, standard solid fuel burning or go a step further and mix in some heat capatable resources from other mods like hydrogen from bobs chemicals.

• Make the whole thing gigantic. Because of the immense amount of power made i suggest a 20x20 monostrity with atleast 8 water connection points that MUST be connected.

8 months ago

Hello, i came here because i too got some concerns on how efficient the mod exactly is at making power.

I would like to offer 2 solutions on how to integrate this into factorio as if it was always part of the game:

• Multiple machines to generate pressure. Hydro turbines need large pressure to generate energy. I suggest making atleast a pressurized tank building and a pressurizer that uses electricity, standard solid fuel burning or go a step further and mix in some heat capatable resources from other mods like hydrogen from bobs chemicals.

• Make the whole thing gigantic. Because of the immense amount of power made i suggest a 20x20 monostrity with atleast 8 water connection points that MUST be connected.
    Hi, thanks for the feedback, I have been actually thinking about implementing a pressure system like that and redesigning the graphics to look more like an actual Hydroelectric dam and taking way more space / resources to craft. (Concrete, steel, Electric engines, copper cable, pipes etc)

New response