Portable Fission Reactor

Adds a portable fission reactor that consumes fuel cells, but is better than a fusion reactor.

Content
5 years ago
Armor

g Sounds like a version of "Angles Vehicle Burner Generator"

5 years ago

This sounds like a version of "Angles Vehicle Burner Generator" but that can be loaded into your personal inventory.

What do you think about making a less expensive "Portable Burner Generator" that can used in modular armour with early fuel types ? Wood / Coal / Solid Fuel, configurable from settings menu.

Maybe even auto-feed itself from the players inventory ?

5 years ago

I couldn't find anything when I did my searching for an existing mod, except for one that required another mod to function.

I could potentially add a 2x2 burner generator that uses chemical fuels, will have to think about it.

Auto-feeding would complicate it a fair bit, so I'm not going to do it. You can control-click your inventory to fill them.

5 years ago

Looking at the Wiki you could use 'fuel_inventory_size' to set how many stacks can be configured. I would suggest a few different versions (mk1/mk2/mk3) .. that have an increasing stack count and improved efficiency.

From what I can see there is no way to limit which individual fuel types are allowed. Its either chemical or nuclear. If we were to update wood to have a different category, it would probably stop being a fuel source for other burners.

Thinking about auto-feeding, it might be a bit dangerous as it could just swallow all the res the player has in their inventory without any limitation.

5 years ago

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Portable_power Found this mod that is similar to what we have been talking about

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Nevermind, just saw the last post.... Was just linking you to my mod, linked above, in case it would interest you as well.

@billbo99 - I always like the idea of higher tier equipment. I enjoy having more things to spend research on and who doesn't like BIGGER! However, I thought them to be powerful enough to stay as they are. Still could add in higher tier versions for those that REALLY want them.

As for auto feeding fuel, I agree that the concern can be just consuming everything before you notice. You can just open your armor and shift click fuel in your inventory to feed power equipment and I am fine with it remaining that way.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I don't think a higher tier version is necessary. A 2x2 grid of reactors produces 4MW of power (the max power from fusion is 3MW, also with 4), and a fuel cell under full load lasts for 800 seconds (just over 13 minutes) even with 10% efficiency.

What I might do is create some weaker forms of power that can go earlier in the tech tree, specifically a burner generator and RTG, that could be used in smaller armour.

You can also Ctrl+Click to fill all power armour fuel slots.

New response