HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting

by Qon

Automatically start handcrafting an item that is quickbar filtered (or in logistics requests) that you don't have enough of whenever your crafting queue is empty. Prioritises items in your cursor and what you need the most. It's like having logistics deliveries for early game!

Utilities
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

g [Not a HandyHands bug] Can't set logistics while HandyHands is crafting

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hi! New mod user here. So I'm trying to set logistics limits for my character, but if HandyHands is crafting something, everytime it initialises a craft it closes the menu and makes it hard/impossible to set logistics limits for my character while HandyHands is autocrafting already. So if I want to set autocrafting for handyhands I have to empty my inventory of the ingredients I'm adding or I have to wait until HandyHands is done with what I added, to add the next thing.

It also seems like the stack amount to autocraft option does nothing, it always crafts one item at a time, whether I say 20 or 100 belts, it does one single belt at a time. Unless I'm misunderstanding the stack amount to autocraft option, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Perhaps the first issue would be mediated if it didn't craft one at a time (since it seems to close the menu whenever a new craft is created)

2 years ago

So I'm trying to set logistics limits for my character, but if HandyHands is crafting something, everytime it initialises a craft it closes the menu and makes it hard/impossible to set logistics limits for my character while HandyHands is autocrafting already. So if I want to set autocrafting for handyhands I have to empty my inventory of the ingredients I'm adding or I have to wait until HandyHands is done with what I added, to add the next thing.

That's a Factorio bug. I don't remember if I reported it to the devs though but I think I remember this issue being brought up before. Nothing I can do about it. Instead of emptying your inventory you can just pause HandyHands, should be easier. Use the shortcut or just cancel the handcraft and HandyHands will pause automatically.

It also seems like the stack amount to autocraft option does nothing, it always crafts one item at a time, whether I say 20 or 100 belts, it does one single belt at a time. Unless I'm misunderstanding the stack amount to autocraft option, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Perhaps the first issue would be mediated if it didn't craft one at a time (since it seems to close the menu whenever a new craft is created)

It always crafts 1 thing, that's intended. This way the mod can always react to what is needed the most at the moment and craft that item. Putting 20 things in your crafting queue would just be annoying since if you start picking up things or need something else more then you need to cancel the queue all the time. And there's no advantage to having more things in your queue.

The setting is for how many items to "request" for autocrafting. When it reaches this number no more things of that type are autocrafted.

2 years ago

Thank you for the quick response.

I am confused by the last part however, what exactly do you mean by items to "request" for autocrafting? Is that a ceiling on some item? Say I request 500 transport belts, (100 per stack), and I say max two stacks, it'll only craft two stacks if my setting is two stacks, one stack if my setting is one stack, etc.?

2 years ago

Yes.

The settings are requests for items, in stacks. You can use both logistics request (if that player setting is on) and the stack size handcrafting requests (modifiable with U and J) to set autocrafting request limits. U & J while holding something in your hand modifies the requests for that particular item.

The mod originally didn't use logistics requests to decide how much to autocraft so I developed my own system. Now that I've added it there's 2 systems. This means you can autocraft things you don't request from the logistics network, while at the same time using some logistics requests to autocraft also, and also at the same time only request from logistics network without autocrafting it.

If you have both then the priority is to never craft more than logistics trash amount, then craft up to the stack limit. If there's no stack limit then use the logistics request as autocrafting request amount.

2 years ago

Oh... it's for items in your hand, I thought it was global, hence why I didn't understand why it wasn't working. Thanks for the thorough explanation.

2 years ago

Oh... is it global or just for items in your hand? I was having trouble earlier but it may have been my error and I'll try again later.

2 years ago

There's a global setting and a per-item setting. Global setting applies to items in your quickbar and ammo bar which has no per-item setting. The per-item setting applies regardless, you don't need to have the item in your quickbar to autocraft them if you give them a per-item setting (or a logistics request).

New response