HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting

by Qon

Automatically start handcrafting an item that is quickbar filtered (or in logistics requests) that you don't have enough of whenever your crafting queue is empty. Prioritises items in your cursor and what you need the most. It's like having logistics deliveries for early game!

Utilities
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

b [Resolved - IC replacement] Conflict with Instant Crafting Mod?

5 years ago

Im using a mod called Instant Crafting, and when trying to use HandyHands i think it causes some sort of bug i think, what happens is that HandyHands just keep telling me it is paused until i hit increase or decrease key.

5 years ago

I'll look into it.
Could you describe with more detail what you expect to happen and what actually happens?
Did you install one mod and tried it and made sure it worked and then installed the other? Or did you install both at once?

5 years ago

I looked into it.

From https://mods.factorio.com/mod/InstantCrafting (factorio v0.16)

Known Issues :
Incompatible with HandyHands.

So I'm guessing you are using https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Instant_Crafting (for factorio v0.17).
That mod is deprecated, which means it has been abandoned by the author.

The way InstantCrafting works is it cancels any handcrafting you start and gives you the results immediatly and removes the ingredients from your inventory. HandyHands pauses automatically if you cancel handcrafting anything started by HandyHands so that you don't have to look up the pause button for the mod if you don't want to handcraft it so HH doesn't just instantly add anything back to the handcrafting queue when you cancel it.

I would say that InstantCrafting is "poorly written" in that it works in a way that doesn't utilize factorios native handcrafting system. I would say it's a problem with InstantCrafting and not HH since the limitations of the mod API means I can't detect how a craft was canceled and they tried to "fake" instant crafting by going around factorios handcrafting system even though it already has the capability to just speed it up incorporated in the API.
I think I've seen mods that speed up handcrafting with research so it should be possible to make handcrafting effectivly instant in a better way.

searches

I did find a mod called magic stick though https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Magic%20Stick
It gives you effectivly instant hand mining. It should be easy to change magic-stick.lua in that mod and replace mining with crafting to get your instant crafting. I can test it later.

searches more

I found https://mods.factorio.com/mod/realvictorprms-crafting-miningspeed-research
a mod that does the same as magic stick but more balanced and fro crafting and mining. But it confirms that the change from "character-mining-speed" to "character-crafting-speed" in magic-stick.lua would work.

I haven't tested it by here's my modification to Magic Stick https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=68870 that gives you effectivly instant handcrafting after a research that requires 1 red science pack.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Thanks a lot for this, HandyGands its a great QoL mod, specially for early game, i knew there was something wrong with the way instant crafting is coded because if i ordered more items than what could fit in my inventory to be crafted, the extra would just vanish. Im gonna test it now.

It works, but it slows down the game when its working.... i lose about 10 fps.

5 years ago

It works, but it slows down the game when its working.... i lose about 10 fps.

When HandyHands is starting crafts the game slows down? Whenever a craft completes HandyHands instantly re-triggers the process to look for the next thing to autocraft instead of waiting for the next n-th tick event which happens only like once a second or so to limit the amount of time spent working needlessly. With instant crafting you never get any downtime so HH is then constantly working. I guess that that's the problem.

If there's a simple fix for it I'll try that, otherwise it will have to wait until next major optimisation pass. I didn't notice any fps drops when using HH with cheat_mode (instant and free crafting), might be a difference in our hardware or it might be indicating some other thing is affecting your performance. Easiest change might be to just limit the rate of crafts started per second to 5~ or so instead of 60 (once every update if crafting is instant).

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Its odd, its not lagging as much now after more testing with a lot of different items, but it did once when i grabbed 1 pump defined 1 stack of pumps, it lagged during the craft process of those pumps, i don't think there is anything wrong with your coding, might be simply my computer. There is some performance drop when its working really fast, like i lay down a huge blueprint and drones keep taking items from my inventory, but its not a big issue. You could implement this really fast crafting as an option in HandyHands.

5 years ago

The purpose of HandyHands is to be a pure "Helper" mod, so it will have strictly no "cheats" or buffs/nerfs whatsoever to anything. It simply manages the crafting starting process which is otherwise finicky and a lot of pointless clicking.

A mod that speeds up handcrafting is a good fit together with HandyHands, but it can be a good fit in a separate mod. I want those that have a strict "no cheat/buff mods, but helpers are ok"-policy to be able to use HH in any configuration.

New response