HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting

by Qon

Automatically start handcrafting an item that is quickbar filtered (or in logistics requests) that you don't have enough of whenever your crafting queue is empty. Prioritises items in your cursor and what you need the most. It's like having logistics deliveries for early game!

Utilities
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

i [Implemented] Disable crafting sound?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Amazing mod but does anybody know anyway i could disable only the "crafting complete" sound? I don't really want to turn off GUI sounds entirely and this pst pst pst sound is driving me nuts, i swear i can ear it in my sleep.

Qon maybe add it as a setting?

4 years ago

I've thought about it, it was requested before. I know a bit more about the mod API now than then, but I'm not really familiar with data modification, more used to programming. But I could maybe "delete" (unlink it as a resource on startup, so it doesn't actually disappear) the crafting sound from the game for all handcrafting if I find which sound file is the correct one and how I access it from data files. I'll take a look.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Done. Handcrafting sound disabled in HandyHands v1.7.3.
I might add it back in for crafting that you start manually, but who manually starts handcrafting manually when you have HH installed to do that for you automatically anyway? q:

4 years ago

Could you make the disabling optional in the mod? I like having the sound as an audible indicator that I'm crafting something.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

So... this latest update disabled the crafting sound so I no longer get that useful pst sound alerting me that something is crafting... This really needs to be enabled by default. If such a feature is here then it really needs to be behind a Mod Setting... Suddenly crafting but not knowing it when using a mod like Stamina (which lowers your health as you craft until you get too low, at which point crafting gets canceled, or you die, depending on your settings) is a bit jarring when my screen suddenly starts turning red without the helpful pst's... >.>

EDIT: Heh, I'm not the only one apparently. ^.^

4 years ago

Suddenly crafting but not knowing it when using a mod like Stamina (which lowers your health as you craft until you get too low, at which point crafting gets canceled, or you die, depending on your settings) is a bit jarring when my screen suddenly starts turning red without the helpful pst's... >.>

That's hilarious! xD
Yeah I will put it behind a setting as soon as I can though. Didn't expect my latest change to cause so much suffering and death :o Sorry! Not at my home computer atm so it will take at least a few hours before I can start on working on the fix but it shouldn't be too hard to add a setting for it I hope. Famous last words...

A bit odd mixing HandyHands with Stamina though :?
Why would you do that to yourself?

4 years ago

The ideal setting would be to only be able to deactivate the sound for auto crafting without removing the sound for manual crafting. Listening to the sound for manual crafting is actually ok so you know the items you set to craft are done the problem is hearing it non stop like a machine gun.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

The ideal setting would be to only be able to deactivate the sound for auto crafting without removing the sound for manual crafting. Listening to the sound for manual crafting is actually ok so you know the items you set to craft are done the problem is hearing it non stop like a machine gun.

Yeah that is fixed already for the next version but I haven't published that change since I haven't tested it enough yet. But it seems to work "good enough" even if it's maybe not exactly as without HH?

It's not actually trivial to fix since the only way (I think) to disable the sound is to modify the sound prototype volume to 0. But that removes it completely for all crafts. So I need to detect when a craft is completed and play the sound from my code when I detect that the circumstances are right, which is a bit tricky since I don't know the rules of what completed crafts actually play the sound. So a stack of 5 only plays the sound for the last one, but only if they aren't used as an ingredient for something later in the queue? I'm forced to re-implement the crafting sound playing logic that Factorio uses without actually having any documentation or source access that tells me how it is done so it's hard to know if what I do is the same.

But it still needs a setting since silent autocrafting is apparently killing my users, literally. Well, the digital part of them in the game.

4 years ago

HandyHands v1.7.4 plays sounds when the crafting queue becomes empty and the craft wasn't started by HandyHands. There's a setting (default enabled) that lets you disable the sound from playing when a craft that was started by HandyHands completes.

I need to test more how Factorio does when it decides whether to play a sound or not when a craft completes. Or if someone knows how it is handled in detail then please tell me. The mod API doesn't let me detect that.

4 years ago

Looks like it is working just fine, thank you very much.

4 years ago

A bit odd mixing HandyHands with Stamina though :?
Why would you do that to yourself?

Because I like death maps, where the environment kills me, the air kills me, and even hand crafting kills me. ^.^
Consequently it makes a whole reason for making food items though! :-)
Yes, vanilla playthroughs are way too boring now... >.>

I'll upgrade at my next opportunity, thanks for the fix!

New response