Ghost In Hand

When a last held item is placed (either by you or by your construction robots) normally your hand would be emptied forcing you to pick that item again. This mod changes this behaviour, so that when you run out of items, a held item is replaced with its ghost.

Utilities
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

b [CANNOT REPRODUCE] Ghost item is not item last placed.

5 years ago

Quite often, the ghost of the item you just placed is something completely different. For example placing the last inserter, and the next item in hand is not the inserter but some bricks. Which were then placed and made a mess of things.
Liked the idea of the mod but for now will have to disable it.

5 years ago

Could you please provide steps to reproduce? Does this happen only with tiles?

5 years ago

It is basically random but when happens, it seems to always be the previous item I picked up and placed in my inventory before I picked up an item to place on the ground. The last time it happened, I grabbed some bricks from a warehouse, placed them in my inventory, then tried to place the last miniloader on the ground. After placing the miniloader the items in hand changed to bricks and that is what was placed next. It has happened before with other things. Both vanilla and modded.

5 years ago

How did you move the items from the chest? Left-clicked them and then left-clicked in your inventory?

5 years ago

yes

5 years ago

Ok, I will need some more help. I am trying different things with chest but cannot get this issue, so I must be clearly doing something differently.

5 years ago

Do you use "clean cursor" action (default Q) at any point?

5 years ago

Not that I recall. Because it doesn't happen all the time and seems to be random it may be difficult to reproduce.
This hapeened on different game saves, one without bobs mods and one with. So I am not sure if mods are affecting this.
I do have the 'Pick ghost items ...' thing selected in the settings. Should that be unselected with this mod?

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

No, that's not random, the logic must be flawed but I am staring at the code and cannot see how.

Generally it goes something like this:

ONE: whenever item appears in your cursor
a) if it can be placed, remember it
b) otherwise, forget what you remember

TWO: whenever item disappears from your cursor
a) if you remember some item, put its ghost in the cursor

Clean cursor action has some extra logic and it prevents all of the above from happening - otherwise whenever you were putting an item down, it was getting replaced with a ghost.

There is also that mod setting "disable when gui open", but it only affects case TWO (when item disappears from your cursor) - prevents it from happening. In your case it sounds like the remembered item is wrong, or rather the item should have been remembered but it wasn't. Anyway, do you have this option selected?

In regards to "Pick ghost item if no items are available" from Settings / Interface, this is only used whenever you click an item on the tool belt. I have it selected too.

5 years ago

It could be just an issue with the current factorio .17 builds. I had another bug that went away after a few builds with no changes made by the mod author.

5 years ago

I don't think so :)

5 years ago

I have just fixed a few others bugs I have noticed. By doing so, I have removed a piece of logic which might have been a culprit of your problems.

If you still experience this problem, I would be extremely grateful if you could try to find out what you click and in what order so that I could reproduce it.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Thanks. I'll reload the mod and play with it activated for awhile.
Edit: It lools like it's fixed with latest version . No more issues all day. Thanks.

New response