Factorissimo2

Factorissimo adds factory buildings to Factorio. Place them down, walk in, build your factories inside!

Content
2 years ago
0.14 - 1.1

i Recursion 3 aka bigger on the inside

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

lets you put factories of any level inside any level

right now R1 is smaller inside bigger, R2 is the same size inside one another, the next step seems like level 2 or 3 factories inside level 1s (and 2s)

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like a level 4 and 5 building ^_^

6 years ago

I do agree that Recursion 3 could be cool to have. Perhaps as a non-default mod option, because lets face it: that's WAY cheaty, for a mod that is already considered very cheaty by some.

I know code-wise it should be pretty easy, the limitation probably had to be specifically added in the first place, so adding a Tech and a check for that to the existing limiter to unlimit placement and activation of the buildings, and a checkbox on the mod options shouldn't be too hard to add.

However, I have to say that with Recursion 2, if you start thinking in recursive ways, you can do some really crazy stuff. I have a Mk1 storage building, that has 6 Mk1 storage buildings in it, but one of those 6 has 6 Mk1 storage buildings in it. I'm using it as a buffer for ore input, so the belt flows from the outside top and back out of the outside bottom. But it has 11 buildings worth of storage, and I can INFINITELY continue that storage just by repeating the pattern.

Whether or not MagmaMcFry decides to add Recursion 3, I recommend really embracing the recursion as it already is.

6 years ago

Yeah I do a lot of stuff like that but there are times and uses for bigger on the inside, especially with say bobs mods where few items input can be divided into dozens of items inside all need to flit about and then recombine into one output.

One example of this is coal, iron ore and copper ore can turn into iron plate, copper plate, plastic bars, barrels of acid, copper wire, red, green and blue circuits 5 different module components, and 15 different module effect boards all to recombine for me into raw speed module 8s and raw productivity module 8s, I need only 5 IO points on the outside but on the inside, there are places where more than 16 can be useful, I could just about manage with the smallest factory buildings and recursion but it's kinda simpler for me to have a bigger one at all levels even though it is a space hog near the top.

I've kind of taken to the practice of loading storage factories with components and taking them to the deepest levels of recursion too. I guess though this is one of the major challenges of this mod, removing it actually removes the fun of the game. So while factory buildings 4 and 5 might be cool and recursion 3 useful in a few situations having those things makes the larger puzzle kinda too easy and so not fun.

5 years ago

Recursion 3 research should just be called Factorioception

5 years ago

Recursion 2 is really Factorioception already :P

5 years ago

A sandbox style Recursion N mode would allow you to have recursion until your computer crashes. I don't see how if we can have factories inside of factories, and factories inside of those factories, how programming all the way down would be much effort. Of course this would be a non-standard mode.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

@vopo You misunderstand. Recursion 2 does not mean 2 layers deep, check the research description. You can already go as deep as you like with Recursion 2.

New response