by Eketek

Components to generate routing and pathfinding signals

Content
5 years ago
0.16 - 0.17
Circuit network

a Considering a major revision

5 years ago

After a fair amount of thinking about this mod and the problems with actually using it, I am thinking about developing a much more accessible version. The idea I have in mind is to design a machine which periodically transfers items between nearby chests (instead of providing a signal and expecting Player to build a suitable mess of combinators) and which can automatically configures itself by scanning outward from itself for placed & planned inserters and belts and pipes - to look for valid routes (requester-type entity/marker or other nodes which can be reached).

4 years ago

If I may make a suggestion: For me the mod would work best if there was just one kind of entity that you can imagine as a chest with variable inputs and outputs. It must be able to recognize if it is has a direct belt connection per each of it's inputs/outputs with another such chest. It can be configured to set the destination for all incoming items of a certain kind that have no set destination yet to another such chest (by id or name). Then the routing happens, as in it asks the nexts chests in line wether they are connected to the destination chest and they do the same etc. As soon as the first one responds (because quickest route in terms of hops, may be optimized I know) the chest memorizes the output it needs to send all items with that destination out - either for a certain lease time or until some other refresh trigger. So effectively, as a user, you have a chest that has a menu that you can just set it's name and the destination for all items it receives that have no destination yet.

New response