Disco Science

Makes science labs light up with the colours of the science packs they are consuming.

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

b No glow at all?

4 years ago

Maybe i'm missing something, but is this not supposed to work on existing saves/labs? Now my labs don't glow at all when researching. Is it possible the mod is incompatible with something?

4 years ago

Never mind, after deleting and replacing the labs (and getting this error: https://imgur.com/a/bvyC4bp ) they started working. I have no mods that affect labs in any way. Any reason for this to happen?

4 years ago

Often it's not about labs specifically, but some mod creates entities without notifying other mods. This is why DiscoScience only finds out about the lab when you delete it.

What mods are you using?

4 years ago

way too many to mention here, but i had nothing that affected labs, so i imagined it shouldn't interfere in any way.

4 years ago

A mod doesn't have to affect labs specifically in order to create a lab without registering it. It might be a mod that makes some changes while placing or editing structures, and it affects all structures including labs. So it's much more likely to be a mod that affects how things are created rather than labs specifically.

4 years ago

Interesting, so something that is linked with blueprints could also cause it? The thing is, the labs in question i know for a fact were placed by hand, since the map i tested it was relatively new. So, could something like a far reach mod affect it? You know, mods that let you place items at any distance?

4 years ago

Far reach should be fine because reach distance is just a variable that they change. However, something more complicated might insert itself in the placement process and then forget to notify when the final build happens.

I just re-read your post, though, and it should always work with labs that were placed before Disco Science was installed. When it first starts up, it does a search to find all labs that it wasn't around to get creation notifications for. So I'm actually a bit puzzled about how your save got into this state.

4 years ago

(In case you wondered, the search is expensive otherwise I would just do it every frame and not have to worry about other mods getting their notifications right.)

4 years ago

Here's another lead: does it take into consideration other gamemodes? like pvp? I THINK the map in question was a pvp map, maybe that caused unexpected behavior? I also noticed that certain other mods also dont play nice with non-freeplay gamemodes.

4 years ago

As far as I know, it should support PVP. I’ve just never had a chance to test it myself. My hope was that players could have competing light shows like suburban Christmas decorators.

4 years ago

Dude... i know this is outside the scope of this mod... but have you considered adding the rave pattern of your labs to lamps? As a standalone mod?

4 years ago

Often it's not about labs specifically, but some mod creates entities without notifying other mods. This is why DiscoScience only finds out about the lab when you delete it.

What mods are you using?

This is what happens with me, I have factorissimo and tons of other mods, they're inside a depo, I delete one lab and then put it back, then it starts glowing again as per mod. But this bug occurs outside a depo as well. I am playing a heavily modded scenario along with many other mods, so it's difficult for me to think which one could affect it... but it doesn't happen on some other maps/mods.

New response