Dirigible

Blimps, airships, aerostats, whatever you wanna call them...

Content
5 years ago
Transportation

i Überzeppelin - your thoughts?

5 years ago

I am thinking about this HUGE airship that would be basically comparable to a small train.
Something to be useful for intra-factory transit that would be able to do the work of dozens of logistic bots, or when used in fleets it would be able to transport ore from inaccessible outposts, like islands.
I would like to have your thoughts on it. It would most likely be an end-game vehicle, but other than that I have no idea if it would fit in the game.

5 years ago

What about having it very expensive but unlocked with the rigid. Or robotics. Also since you mentioned islands (and I haven't heard of any mods with islands) you could add islands. I know that is a lot of island in one sentence

5 years ago

What about having it very expensive but unlocked with the rigid. Or robotics. Also since you mentioned islands (and I haven't heard of any mods with islands) you could add islands. I know that is a lot of island in one sentence

Well, islands are already a thing in 0.16, aren't they?
In most of my games I have A LOT of water with many completely isolated islands, some of which contain ore patches that are completely safe from biter invasions.

5 years ago

Odd. I have never had a island.

5 years ago

What about making rigid airships weponized? You mentioned that. Also what about having a semi costom airship? Like you can make the airship copper or steel or plastic?

5 years ago

It would be useful to either add a dedicated turret or allow you to use your own weapons/slot them in to make them more suitable for travelling or culling biter incursions. Maybe make it so that is only applicable to the Uberzeppelin so that it could be a bit balanced. And as for what Miner here said, you could add a colour customizer like with trains or correspond with player colour.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

It would be Awesome if it could have at least one gun on it. It seems all the airships are just improvements from the last. It would be super cool if the Uber had a special trait like a turret. or the ability to carry vehicles. Giving it more utility and military capabilities.

5 years ago

A gun on the Uber would be nice. I have a question though, could you make it comparable to the size of actual Zeppelins in real life?

Thank you for creating this mod. Factorio lacks aircraft/boats. You doing those who are interested a favor.

5 years ago

I have a question though, could you make it comparable to the size of actual Zeppelins in real life?

Yes, I plan to make the zeppelins rather huge, and the uber even larger. I just took a break from it for a while, and I have to figure out how to make factorio load sprite rotations from individual sprites from multiple files, because the zeppelin model I made is much bigger than the size limit of a spritesheet

New response