Diesel Locomotive fix for 0.18 deprecated

This mod has a replacement (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/dieselTrains). Adds functionality and a locomotive for using fluids as fuel. Can use heavy oil, light oil, or diesel (if added by another mod), or all three. Incompatible with some mods that add fluids and use a non-64x64 icon. Configurable in Settings -> Mod Settings. Fixed for 0.18.

Content
4 years ago
Trains

g Possible Replacement / Take-Over?

4 years ago

Hi,

I was working on taking over the original mod. Both devs have indicated that they will not continue their work and I don't expect them to return any time soon. Also on the original mod no-one has stepped up yet to take it over full time. While I am not an "official" maintainer of the mod, I started working on an improved version for 0.18. Now I just saw your fix.

My implementation would solve a few old problems with the mod (locomotives no longer accept invalid fluids, when a locomotive stops at multiple pumps with different fluid types, it will only connect to the ones that match the fluid already in the locomotive, etc...). I also created another mod based on the same code-base so it would be awesome if I could combine the two and provide a new and improbed API for other mods to interact with the fluid-handling logic as well.

I don't want a situation where multiple incompatible fixes are competing with each other. So I wanted to ask you, if it would be fine with me publishing my "continuation" mod that would serve as a replacement for both the original 0.17 version as well as your fix.

Cheers

4 years ago

Sorry for not responding and keeping you waiting, I haven't played Factorio recently and just noticed your mod on the mod installer.
I will try to update my mod to introduce some of your fixes to improve compatibility, and suggest this mod in the description of the mod (both in the info file and on the portal). I am right now working on putting this mod on GitHub, as I just realized it was not on there.

Thanks

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hey, no worries.

In the mean-time i have created a mod "fluidTrains" that was primarily done as a separate core for my steam trains mod. I also released a "dieselTrains" mod that is fully compatible with the original and your mod. The "fluidTrains" provides a central API for any trains that want to use fluids. there i already added a feature that allows locomotives to draw fluids from attached wagons and am currently working on re-introducing the old pump animations.

I already ensured that my mod can be used as a replacement for your mod without compatibility issues, so no migration has to be made to switch from yours to mine

New response