Deteriorating Machines

Its a Corrosive Planet. Your machines will slowly get damage, and you have to repair them before it blows up.

Content
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.17
Enemies

i Higher tier, less deterioration + mod compatibility

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Cool mod, you have been creating cool mods like crazy lately! :D
What about introducing decreasing levels of deterioration with each tier of new furnace, assembler, etc. as they are built with better, more expensive parts, they should last longer. If you can possibly conjure up some code in a format wherein vanilla buildings can be assigned a tier in a central file and then this format would be one where you could also call a mod-compatibilities file that defines all of the custom mods buildings and assigned tier in that same simple format. The easiest way for me to describe this the best way is to please see the "Powered Entities" mod on here. If you check the discussion board you will see I send in a few code commits for mod compatibilities as he makes it painfully easy for someone novice to programming like me able to write these (not to mention I play with many different mods and follow mods.factorio.com closely for the newest mods & experiment with many). In turn I, as the subscriber of your mod, can support you as the mod developer so you can worry about more important things than exploring a ton of mods and getting the building names and writing boring compatibility entries for mods you don't even use but many others might. But again this is just an idea I had for this mod you made that seems like a relatively reasonable possibility.
Thanks for all your mod submissions, I've enjoyed a good deal of them! Cheers

5 years ago

Hello Splicer, Man, thats nice, thanks for all support... The "Better tier" is a great way to go with this mod, maybe with some protection modules too... I'm seeing the file on Powered Entities, trying to understand, analysing the code. I'm a really noob in mods and my big challenge is to be able to make mods more compatible with others. I'm very happy that you enjoying the mods!! XD Cheers

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

yes, lots of nice mods, and i barely have enough time to test one of your new mods before the next two are released :-)

when i saw the description of this mod, i immediately had to think about whether and how it might work together with https://mods.factorio.com/mod/damaged-stop-working ...
Machines might be damaged over time, at first only showing damage without consequences, then (below some threshold) having reduced speed or other limitations proportional to the damage until they stop working (production speed<=0) at another treshold, and finally either stay at 1 HP or even get destroyed completely.

the biggest disadvantage of any such mods: to not make it too annoying, there has to be some ability to repair items (eg with repair packs), and as soon as there are bots they can do all the maintenance work. after once setting up some repair kit production and logistic networks, players can almost ignore such damage. as result, all such mods cause only some small additional complexity for maintenance (upkeep cost, and at most some extra transport of repair packs to outposts), but lots of load for the CPU and decreased UPS :-(

New response