Darkstar Utilities

Propel yourself all the way from mining stone with your hands to ripping holes in reality. Darkstar Aims to extend the playtime of the game to well over twice the standard. With extra features like Quarries and Ore Probes for mining in lands with no ores, or launching rockets to mine deep space materials. With roughly 664 currently added features!

Overhaul
3 years ago
0.15 - 1.1

g Furnace Warhouse

3 years ago

So, I built one of these cause the idea sounded interesting. Thought maybe it would be like a storage warehouse that somehow smelted anything inside of it.

Instead, it's basically just 20 furnaces stuck together. Which could be cool, except . . . It takes as much energy as 128 furnaces!

Also, the graphics on it are weird and messed up. The graphics are larger than the object actually is.

3 years ago

So, I built one of these cause the idea sounded interesting. Thought maybe it would be like a storage warehouse that somehow smelted anything inside of it.

Instead, it's basically just 20 furnaces stuck together. Which could be cool, except . . . It takes as much energy as 128 furnaces!

Also, the graphics on it are weird and messed up. The graphics are larger than the object actually is.

I'll look into the graphical issue and energy consumption. I will say, it's design was based around making a larger object so more Inserters could be placed on it, as well as more modules. In my opinion it does have a use-case. But the energy cost is definitely an issue.

3 years ago

Yeah, if it took as much as 20 furnaces, that would be completely fair

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hello,

honestly furnace warehouse are usefull for the mid/late-game and by the time you will really use them with productivity module you can craft a several MK5 solar panel (16GW each + some liquid energy storage to act as accumulators).

While waiting the moment you get those solar panel you can use efficiency modules on them. I was using this setup : https://i.imgur.com/a2nMwB2.png

Crafting speed : 48 for only 9 MW of power usage. (2 speed module 5 - 5 efficiency module 2 - 1 efficiency module 1)

IMHO they seem pretty balanced for now even for the mid game if you use efficiency module on them. You save space and numbers of modules for the cost of power usage. Late game you don't care much about power usage due to the OP solar panel you can unlock and craft.

3 years ago

So, my initial math was bad, as I must have been using an electric furnace that had some speed modules in it when I did the math. The furnace warehouse actually takes the same energy as 250 electric furnaces. So even with an 80% discount from modules, that's still equal to 50 unmodded furnaces.

Even if you don't care about power too much, that's still pretty ridiculous.

New response