Concurrent Train Restriction

Restrict amount of trains trying to reach station simultaneously by circuit network. UPDATED: * Added migration to native factorio train limits. tldr: Train stop limit.

Content
3 years ago
0.15 - 1.1
Trains

g High UPS despite low usage and inactivity,...and something else.....

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Please do note this posted under general discussion, not bug or ideas/suggestion :

Initially i use Concurrent Train Restriction on every single train stop that share a same name, which basically 90% of all train stop. Only a few being handled differently, vanilla style since it use special unique name.
(Btw, i will shortened the mod name to CTR from now on, as convenient way to write the mod name)

My setup consist of 175 train (loco, not just loco+wagon count).
But as my train network growing, the UPS from CTR is just to big to bear.
And this is not even my final base yet, probably just 25 % of the planned size).

As a result, as much as i really love this mod, i have to dismantle it.
The plan was to use this mod only in a crude oil train that were bound to outpost, since the outpost were too spread apart.
A vanilla way will make them in loop half the map when their target station turns out being occupied first by another train.

To be precise, at this moment, only 16 Train will use CTR, while there's only 8 outpost that use CTR (Load Crude Oil Outpost).

Surprisingly, as i dismantled the CTR , deconstruct the train stop then rebuilt it the vanilla way. The script update of CTR is remain big, a 1.X.
Another thing i noticed, since i'm in the middle of dismantling /replacing train network; the OIl Crude Train is set to manual.
They stay in place, inactive not doing anything.

In short, CTR seems still highly active despite low usage, or even no activity with train-based CTR.
So i guess CTR is tracking all the train/stop internally ?
I'm no coder, i haven't clue how this mod is working. But if this somehow can be fixed, it would be awesome.
Then no need for me to dismantle CTR.
It's the most singular important mod in my very long list of mod.

Another topic :

Btw, i'm madly curious why the hell this mod is not popular?!
Only 700+ downloads, and i never ever seen anyone mention this mod on discord / forum / reddit...ever !

This is a VERY convenient mod,
The #1 problem with vanilla network is solved with this mod (distributing train on the same train stop name).
And it's soooooo easy to use.
At certain point, the dev even considering adding this feature on the game (i believe on Factorio 0.15) .
Didn't know why they scrap it, hopefully just pending planned feature.

Does it because of the mod name?
Or even the description (at the in-game mod portal) ?

I'm gonna be honest, waaaaay back before i installed this mod, briefly looking at the description/name, i thought :
"Huh, a mod that restrict train with circuit network?"
"Why the need a mod for that? I can disable train stop with vanilla circuit"
"Ooh,.it can restrict number of train..."
"Wait,...do i need to wiring all the train stop ? Literally connecting them in global circuit?"

But then again, upon my discussion with many in discord, most player (that i chat with) is simply don't see a bigger picture why this feature is simply a killer 😭

4 years ago

You are right, it consumes UPS based on overall trains count and not on CTR enabled stations.
I have a plan to rewrite mod which will (or will not) lower UPS usage.

It would be helpful if you could share save where train set to manual (just before it).

If you have an ideas on how to improve description - feel free to share them here
If you would like you could spread the word :)

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Oh man, sorry..i have tendency of overwriting save files. I don't like having multiple save files.
And i literally just finished converting CTR to my own vanilla train distribution (using train count).
So there's no train stop or even train that were using CTR; then i disable CTR, then overwrite the save files.
And i also use my own set of virtual signal, i didn't publish it in the mod portal.s, other wise it wouldn't work / train chaos upon loading...perhaps.

If i share the save files, is it still helpful ?

Regarding the description, i have no ideas (yet).
But looking back, in retrospect, the mod picture is kinda misleading don't you think ?
User that were not aware of this mod capabilities, probably thought the 2nd train will goes in a loop, just like vanilla loop. But that's not accurate.

So they perceive it as , "what's the difference between using this mod vs disable the station in vanilla way ? If it still goes in a loop anyway"
But i have no idea what kind of alternative picture that can show the mod capabilities.

Edit:
I have small ideas regarding description, put a simple example in short sentence after the original description.

Restrict amount of trains trying to reach station simultaneously by circuit network. Eg: If you use train stop that shared the same name, but want to limit the number of simultaneously train visit on each stop.

Idk if that will fit the description word limit, and my example sentence is even more confusing/ineffective use of sentence; i'm not native english speaker.

New response