Companion Drones

by Klonan

Adds friends

Content
1 year, 6 months ago
Blueprints

i Drone Behavior Dangerous to Players

2 years ago

I have noticed something problematic with my drones. I like the idea of them being able to be sort of guardians and attacking nearby aggressors but my drones nearly 100% of the time left to their own accord get themselves killed and frequently, me as well. The problem seems to mostly be in the bot's attack/defense methods. When they become to target of an attack they rapidly spiral around to avoid physical attack which seems logical but this means they yeet off in a random direction dealing very spread out damage to the whole pack of bugs rarely killing them, because the damage is randomized over the whole group this also allows HP recovery time, and then end up getting the attention of every bug in the whole area as they fling around out of control and off view. I know you can disable attack with a button but their tactics make them almost useless for defense because they usually end up bringing in 10x as many bugs as I was originally having to deal with when I try to have them help me take care of a few near me.

Having a tendency to stick close to the player would make them better for defense while also making them less likely to aggro everything around and causing a full on uprising. Another ability that could make them more potent would be the tendency to target the bug in range with the lowest health percentage which should make them more effective at killing. I have no idea what these changes would mean for load and complexity but IMO I would happily sacrifice CPU time for it, especially if such skills were to be implemented in a way that players can allow or disallow said functions.

Also maybe the ability to have the drones be called out of your backpack on demand like logi/const drones? I find clicking on specific things frequently being blocked by the drones and also find their spring like movement somewhat distracting.

I want to love these drones as they have so much potential but they keep getting me and themselves killed which is less of a help and more often a hinderance.

1 year, 7 months ago

I agree, maybe in the mod settings menu allow us to separately set distance for auto build and auto attack, also for combat maybe add a few stances: aggressor, defender, turret. Something along the lines of go out and kill, kill anything that gets near me or stand in one spot and kill anything that comes to you. Maybe also more items for the drone, like a radar or plasma torch to do auto repairs on other drones or armor modules. That way we can have drones play roles like tank, healer, dps.

It's an absolutely wonderful mod and I think a few subtle expansions of behavioral variety might make this most downloaded ever.

New response