Clockwork

by Yehn

Changes the parameters of the solar cycle: Make days longer or shorter and control what portion of the cycle is night. Make nights darker if you like. Includes an optional Sun Never Rises mode.

Content
1 year, 9 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Environment

b [Cannot reproduce] Problems involving Pitch Black Nights

In my latest game, the morning does not gradually become bright but rather goes from full dark to full bright in an instant. Through tweaking the values, I have found that apparently it happens as long as Pitch Black Nights is off, but works normal when Pitch Black Nights is on.

Also, I like the vanilla night darkness but that doesn't seem to be an option. When Pitch Black Nights is on, nights are 100% dark such that nothing can be seen at all if it isn't producing its own light. But if Pitch Black Nights is off, the night is so light that I often feel no need for lights at all. I want my nights to be dark but not 100% dark, just vanilla dark. (Or if they recently changed vanilla night light level then I want the old vanilla night darkness.) It'd be great if we could just set our own maximum darkness for night.

3 years ago

Yep agree 100%. I don`t know when it was, but they changed the original night darkness in Factorio and every mod has only the pitch black darkness or the normal game darkness (in my opinion normal daylight)

3 years ago

Hello there,

For the first issue: I wasn't able to reproduce this. But it sounds like maybe the Dawn/Dusk/etc values got tweaked to be very close together. Did you try resetting the settings to default? (In the mod settings menu, there's an circular arrow to do this).

--

Jan01 is right in that there was an API change (and yes, a change to vanilla darkness too). Basically, we lost the old way to control how dark the night got granularly.

There is a sort of workaround, but it can only be done in startup settings (Factorio will need to be restarted every time it is changed, and from a mod maker's perspective, I'll have to implement extra checks to make sure it doesn't conflict with the current pitch black mode). I might be able to give you what you want eventually through this alternative, but I'll need some time to explore and test what I can do with it, and if that works out then integrate it into this mod.

New response