Clockwork

by Yehn

Changes the parameters of the solar cycle: Make days longer or shorter and control what portion of the cycle is night. Make nights darker if you like. Includes an optional Sun Never Rises mode.

Content
1 year, 9 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Environment

g Settings

3 years ago

There needs to be a tutorial for this mod if there isn't already, having an extremely hard time with the settings.

I want a 15 minute day with the calculator I'm using only .5 increments work. which roughs out to:

Daylength Multi: 2.5 = lasts:13:53(833s) 30s

Dusk: This is sunset? I want this to be 45 seconds
Evening: This is night? I want this to be 2 minutes 53 seconds
Morning: This is sunrise? I want this to be 45 seconds
Dawn: This is the day? I want this to be 9 minutes 30 seconds

Start: I set this time just after dawn for a day start?

So I know my ideal outputted values but when using a calculator like https://rafal-lauterbach.000webhostapp.com/thingy.html I am even more clueless then when I started.

Trying to work this out.

1. Values go least to greastest
  2. For a longer night make Evening and Morning further apart, and thus the inverse would also be true

At 2.5 MULTI with .45, .60, .75, .90 you get 7.38, 2.5 x3 and then from there just I don't understand at all. No matter what I do, how I do it, how I read the tooltips. It just makes no sense to me.

Using the calculator it looks like Morning determines the length of Night, then trying the least to greatest thing just isn't working out. I'm sure if I just kept hacking away at it with random numbers I could find a balance.

But anyways, any help with this would be appreciated.

3 years ago

I was looking up Minecraft, and other video game day/night cycles. And using minecraft it's a 3 multi with this mod. And it was just somehow easier to see the pattern of how things scaled.

It's not precise to my intentions, but it will allow me to actually start a game.

.25, .30, .60, .65 = 12.30, 1.3, 6.15, 1.3. So that's pretty good. Thanks for the mod using it with your one Nightfall

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hi there,

Glad you got it. At some point I'd like to add alternate settings that are more intuitive...

Right now the values exposed are exactly as Factorio works internally, but it might be possible to do something like "day in seconds" and "night in seconds" and then have the mod internally do the math to translate that to Factorio values. I'm not sure when I can get to trying that, though.

2 years ago

------------- day -------><----- sunset ----->< night -><----- sunrise ----><-------- day ------------

% 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100
|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|

https://wiki.factorio.com/Time

That scale made sense of it for me without overthinking the issue like I was before.

New response