Clockwork

by Yehn

Changes the parameters of the solar cycle: Make days longer or shorter and control what portion of the cycle is night. Make nights darker if you like. Includes an optional Sun Never Rises mode.

Content
1 year, 9 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Environment

g [feature added] Pitch black as percentage ?

4 years ago

I was playing with pitch black enabled and Krastorio 2, the flares need chipas to make, maybe you add a options to pitch black be as percentage, like 95% out others, so on start game don't be too hard to place miners and etc. thanks

4 years ago

Hello,

Originally the mod had this - you could specify exactly how dark you wanted it to be. But 0.18 essentially removed the old API function us modders used to set this and the new one is... quite a bit less flexible. I'll see what I can coax out of it when I have the time.

3 years ago

Any chance of this feature coming back?

3 years ago

Hi,

There's a chance, yes, but it comes with a big caveat. The new system that might allow me to do this proportionally is a 'startup' setting. Meaning every change will require Factorio to restart. It's a big pain, I know, but that's just how the modding interface works now.

And then... I need to do some research and experimentation to see if it will really work at least decently, and if that goes OK then I can integrate into the mod. Really a lot depends on how that goes - it could happen very quickly if everything goes smooth and easy, or take a while or not happen at all if things don't go so well.

3 years ago

Startup setting is fine. I don't think people would be changing nighttime brightness that frequently. Maybe in the beginning once to find their preferred brightness/darkness. But then they will probably keep it that way.

3 years ago

Well I have some good news, I was able to do this and it's not even a startup setting. It will be in the next Clockwork release.

3 years ago

Great news! Thanks!

3 years ago

I just upgraded and am looking at the mod settings. Very confusing. Why do I have both a checkbox for "pitch black nights" (which is off) and a darkness percentage (which is 100%==pitch black). This feels contradicting. Or does the percentage only take effect with "pitch black nights" active?

3 years ago

I just upgraded and am looking at the mod settings. Very confusing. Why do I have both a checkbox for "pitch black nights" (which is off) and a darkness percentage (which is 100%==pitch black). This feels contradicting. Or does the percentage only take effect with "pitch black nights" active?

The percentage only takes effect when the checkbox is checked.

I did think about removing the checkbox, but then I would have to make the default percentage 0, and that would turn off pitch black nights for a lot of people that have it enabled on previous versions... maybe I should bite the bullet and do it anyways.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I think it would be enough to just explicitly state "Only takes effect when "Pitch black nights" is active" for the percentage setting tooltip.

Or maybe rename both settings. The checkbox would be "Darker nights". The percentage would explain:
100% == pitch black
0% == vanilla
Only takes effect with "Darker nights"

3 years ago

I went ahead and removed the checkbox. Although it is a bit disruptive now, I think it's better in the long run. Setting names and tooltips were also updated.

New response