Power Combinator deprecated

Adds a combinator capable of replacing several combinators

Content
5 years ago
Circuit network

g Short review

5 years ago

This is a very promising mod. The way this mod implements logical operators (or combinators as they are called) is how I think the basegame should be. I know Factorio has a unlimited map size but it gets cluttered and confusing when you have large fields of combinators around to do basic functions.

Blueprinting of this mod does NOT work at all at the moment and I don't see how it would work in the future either since this mod relies on "stacking" combinators to combine them. This mods combinator "building" can not be turned around or flipped and its settings can not be copied from one Power Combinator to another at the moment of writing this review.

Because of those limitations this mod is somewhat held back, but it is a step in the right direction in my opinion for Factorio's implementation of control logic.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I like this mod a lot, but i didn't test blueprinting yet, and without blueprinting or the ability to copy&paste settings it would be almost useless in the long run. another problem that i had: on a medium sized setup (maybe 15 combinators) it already gets difficult to edit those setups. since i built my setup first with normal combinators and then inserted power poles and finally copied that setup to the list in a power combinator, i would wish that i could build it all like factorissimo: enter a power combinator (or get a gui with some kind of switchboard) and set everything up there.

a hint for people who (like me at first) didn't know what to do after reading the one-sentence-description on the information tab ("you build a network of invisible combinators connected to numbered invisible power poles"):

build any setup of combinators like you always do, then add a lot of powerpoles (always use shift-click on them to remove all copper wires foir better visibility since they are not needed later) and rewire the setup so that the combinators are not directly connected to each other (and neither input and output of a single combinator) but always connect all inputs and all outputs of all combinators only to any powerpole. give each powerpole a different number and then start setting up the power combinator: click "add combinator", select the type of combinator, click at the left side to edit the combinator (you'll get the same additional gui that those combinators have in vanilla, except that constant combinators have less slots. is this a bug? or a relict from an old factorio version?) and then enter all the wire connections. although you can select wire color (and pole number) for two inputs and two outputs, it really is only a "list of wires" and the usual restrictions from vanilla apply (connecting a red wire to an input has the same effect as connecting a green wire: both will be added by the combinator before doing calculations; and the output connections both get the same calculated values from the combinators). thus i didn't freely select between white (no connection), red and green, but always used white/red on the first input, white/green on the second input, and the same also for the outputs. finally push the "connect" button to guarantee that all connections are properly (re)connected for that combinator.

to connect the whole setup to the rest of the factory, there are two special pole numbers: pole #100 corresponds to the input connection of the power combinator and pole #101 corresponds to the output side of the power combinator. since they seem to be pure power poles with no additional logic, you can even connect your own outputs to #100 and read those outputs on the input side of the power combinator in your factory, and connect your inputs to #101 and feed them to the power connector on the output side :-) it really is the same as a manually built setup with no additional overhead, and also has exactly the same timing (the power combinator neither slows down nor speeds up the ticks for computing in combinators).

to protect and isolate inputs and outputs (at the cost of 2 ticks computing time for the entire power combinator) no internal combinators should be connected to #100 or #101 directly, but (depending on your setup and needs) one (connected via green+red wire) or two (one via green and one via red wires) arithmetic combinators (set to "each + 0 -> each") should be put between #101 and your internal input pole, and another one or two between your internal output pole and #101.

and now: have fun !
btw: should we somehow share setups (their blueprints) so that other people can use those setups? i like throughput measurement setups and have tested this mod by rebuilding my standard setup in a power combinator :-)

New response