Hydrogen Power Systems

Using the power of univese's most common element

4 years ago
0.16 - 0.18

i Give the hydrogen fluid a fuel value, so it can be used with the Diesel Locomotive mod as a fluid fuel.

4 years ago

I've already got all these diesel locomotives, I don't wanna replace them with regular ones just to run off hydrogen!

4 years ago

The hydrogen already have fuel value maybe the locomotives have a fluid filter

4 years ago

I could put it in, but it ran out very quickly.

Is the hydrogen produced from the chemical plant different from the electrolyser?

4 years ago

That stuff didn't appear to have a fuel value.

4 years ago

Are you using bob plates? If so bobs also have a hydrogen fluid that is incompatible with mine

4 years ago

I am not using Bob's plates.

The chemical plant has a hydrogen recipe, 1 water, 9 acid, to make 1 hydrogen. If I put that one in the diesel, it shows as having 0 MJ of fuel value.

I did make an electrolyser, and the hydrogen out of that had 2 MJ of fuel value.

I can show you the recipe when I get home, in ~6-7 hours

4 years ago

I'm right now testing diesel locomotives with various fluids I know HAVE fuel values and it seems to work only with oils
Looks like it gives them arbitrary fuel values instead of using fluid properties
So this is an issue with diesel locomotives mod, not my mod

4 years ago

Okay then, I'll take this over there.

4 years ago

I'm right now testing diesel locomotives with various fluids I know HAVE fuel values and it seems to work only with oils
Looks like it gives them arbitrary fuel values instead of using fluid properties
So this is an issue with diesel locomotives mod, not my mod

Correct, sorry. So, Diesel Locomotives can't consume fluids directly like fluid boilers can. The fluid has to be pumped into an invisible storage tank, then it counts up the contents and creates "fake" fluids (basically renamed solid fuel) for the locomotive to burn instead.

At this time, Diesel Locomotive does not respect fuel values assigned to fluids due to a number of factors, such as different balances between mods and the fact that we weren't looking to actually support every fluid with a fluid value (just cause you can burn it for power generation doesn't mean it'd be used for mechanical motion generation). After all, there could be a mod that adds fuel value to water cause their power generator would use that... but obviously that doesn't make sense for this use case (and to be honest, from my PoV, neither does Hydrogen).

That said, I'm still working on updating and revising the mod. I've been toying with the idea of just making the mod a core library for any locomotive wishing to use fluids, then putting the locomotives themselves into separate mods.

4 years ago

If you do separate them out, I'd be happy with that. I could then tool things to my liking a but easier.

4 years ago

Well, you could still now, but I'll have to write up that FAQ I mentioned on the Diesel Locomotive page for full details and different methods. One of the easiest methods you could use is to just modify the included config file to add an entry for the fluid(s) you want, then make sure your settings for the mod are selected for "Both heavy & light oil". This applies only to you, though.

4 years ago

Awesome!

New response