Burnys Train Station Blueprint Creator

by Burny

A helper mod to quickly create train station blueprints for different train lengths and individual needs.

Content
4 years ago
0.14 - 0.18
Blueprints

i Zuri/Chest Connect, Logistics Unloading/Zuri Suggestions

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Very useful mod. I do have a couple of suggestions:

There is a simple way to make Mad-Zuri's even distribution method work with both logistics chests and connecting all chests together for reading resource availability by the station.

1) Read contents of chests while keeping resource count even
This requires the addition of a second arithmetic combinator per Mad-Zuri (un)loader. A second combinator is placed in front of the first and the inputs of the two are connected with the green wire. The outputs of the new combinators are connected together and to the station. The new combinators' settings are "each * 1, output each". This will isolate each section so Zuri's system can work properly while adding the contents of all the sections together for the station to utilize.

2) Logistics Chests Unloading
This will only work for unloading stations, as of course there is no controlling where robots go when loading a train. Take the Mad-Zuri design used for loading the train and flip it around while replacing the chests with logistic variants. This basically replaces the belt in the Zuri system with the wagon. Going from wagon to chest this way also takes full advantage of the stack bonus when using stack inserters.

6 years ago

Hey, thanks for a response.
At first I thought it wasn't possible to make a Zuri (un)loader for logistic chests. But now after reading your response and thinking about it for a while, it should be possible but, wouldn't make sense because it doesn't achieve much of a difference.

Like what exactly would a Zuri (un)loader achieve when used with logistics chests?
Unloading: Inserters load evenly into active provider chests, but how is this advantageous towards an unload station without the "evenly" unload part?

Loading: Requester chests fill up unevenly by bots, inserters evenly load from requester chests to cargo wagon. What's the advantage compared to loading unevenly?
When I do train loading via bots, I set the amount to something small like 50-100 per chest.

This is of course under the assumption that you have plenty of bots that help with (un)loading.
So, sadly this doesn't convince me yet to implement it to the mod.
I don't know ... if you could elaborate a bit or deliver strong arguments, then I would implement it. But as of now, I don't see a reason to.

6 years ago

When using bots to load and unload trains, there's not much point to using Zuri's system. I was half asleep and nitpicking i guess, just that your wording in the tooltips said its not possible when it is, just (probably) pointless.

The main point I wanted to convey was actually the other suggestion. It is not only possible to use use Zuri's system while sending the total resource count to the station, but also very useful. Every time I use your mod to create a new station, I go back and add the second set of combinators to control the station's availability dependent on resource count.

6 years ago

Heh, I will change the tooltip then! :)

I also deactivate my stations when they have not enough / too many resources.
For example train stations at my iron ore outpost is disabled when it has less resources than what fits in the train's cargo. So when using and L-CC train, the max cargo it can transport is 4000 (50stacksize * 20 cargo slots * 2 cargo wagons).
Instead of using Zuri's (un)loader, I just limit the number of slots available in the chests: If using one-side-loading there are 6 chests per cargo wagon, so limit chests to 7 slots each (6*7=42 > 40) so it has slightly more ore available than what fits in the train's cargo.

Now from what I read from your post, you are doing loading / unloading with bots instead?
I can't quite follow, could you upload a few screenshots or your savegame so I can have a look at how you do it?

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I uploaded my save to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byroz2BAyLHoemRva0FlV3hhUEE

On loading, you should be next to the copper plate factory. It has the best example of what I do for my stations. I am using mods, but if you load the game in vanilla it won't break anything.

Edit: Ok some things will be broken, but they are mostly aesthetic.

New response