Burner Offshore Pump

The Offshore Pump needs fuel for working; next tier needs electric energy. Does not change UPS, good for multiplayer.

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

i [done] Electric Offshore Pump

5 years ago

Finally, someone made this mod! GJ. Could you consider getting electric one in the game too and delete of vanilla one? Also how about small upgrades for electric ones (x2 x3 output) unlocked later on?

5 years ago

Is 1200 water liquids / second not enough? The electrical one looks as nice extension for this mod, but then 60 kW looks too cheap.

5 years ago

well, looking up for megabases that use nuclear reactors could give you an idea what could be done, as for cost, possibly around 200 (radar is 300 kW)

5 years ago

I think that burner offshore pump factorio must make much lower water amount, may be 60 fluids / second and cost 60 kW, but electrical offshore pump can generate up to 1200 fluids / second (same as vanilla offshore pump), but needs about 180-240 kW power supply.

4 years ago

darkfrei, completely agree with your last post on the balance figures (burner uses less energy and pumps less water; electric pumps equivalent to vanilla). Is that something you'd be willing to add to this?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Yes, probably today.
Right now the burner offshore pump needs too few energy, one stack of coal can be enough for whole game.

/nope, I need much more time for testing

4 years ago

Well, you know, come to think of it, the burner inserter does use more energy for the same basic tasks as the electric inserter....

4 years ago

Done!

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I'm not using this mod (I prefer Ice Ore). But since I was asked to comment:

If I installed the mod then I would expect the electric pump to give the same amount of water so that my currently working blueprints would still work as normal. Anything else would require some major benefit for the annoyance of my setup to be broken to be worth it.

I would also say that the gameplay benefit of this mod isn't really the cost. The interesting thing about it is that

1. it is no longer "free" and
  2. You need to make sure your design can be restarted after a brownout -> blackout death spiral.

The energy cost should be reasonable, if it is too high then it's not really about the 2 points I mentioned but instead about mining a lot of coal and making your whole power plant unreasonably big to just pump water.

1200kW for the electric one sounds like a lot, but it does also give quite a lot of water which reduces the energy cost/litre water to reasonable levels. It would mean that 3.33% of all power would be driving the water pumps to the boilers giving you energy. And you can use 2xEM1 or 2xEM2 in them to reduce the energy cost quite a bit with only a few modules. Since modules are allowed it might even be ok to have it use even more power.

An EM1 module reduces power by 30% and costs similar to a solar panel. 30% of 1200kW = 360kW. And a solar panel gives 42kW average. EM1 in an assembler3 reduces power by 112.5kW for comparison. Since modules are already so effective in the pumps I wouldn't really mind if unmoduled pumps required like 2400kW. It would be a nice reward for anyone that figures out how useful efficiency modules are in them also.

For the burner offshore pump it isn't that annoying if the pump gives out less water. Most people aren't using blueprints at this stage and you don't need the power that 20 boilers in a row would give you either. And you probably don't have that much space for it either. And if you increase power cost/s of the burner offshore pump a lot then you just have instantly disappearing coal which would be a bit weird. So reducing water/second to increase energy/litre water is a fine solution as long as the electric pumps that give 1200 water/second are available in the mid game.

You already can't module the burner offshore pump (right?) so it seems fine if it uses same/similar amount of energy/litre as the electric pump. Burner entities are usually less efficient and since the electric one benefits so much from modules it doesn't really need to be more efficient when it has no modules.

I think 25% of the water (so enough for 5 boilers in a row) is a reasonable amount of water to get from a burner pump. So maybe 300/s for 600kW to match 2.4MW for 1200water/s for the electric one.
That's 66% of one of your 10 steam engines that are supported by the burner pump.

That's also 6.66% of all your power going to your pump. But it is only until you get the electric one (when do you get that one?) so I don't think it would be too much.

60 water/s was suggested for the burner pump earlier, but then you only get 1 boiler per offshore pump. And you also can't place the offshore pumps anywhere so that would get really annoying. It seems way too low. That's lower than "Drill to Aquifer" and it can be placed anywhere (and it still seems like it might be a bit too low for that). Since you are bound by

• coal use
  • availability of lakes
  • and also constrained by the shape of the shore

I really think 60 water/s would just make it more annoying than interesting until you can get the electric pump.

These are my initial thoughts.

Edit: Fixed: GW -> MW.

4 years ago

Thanks for your reply, it looks like more powerful burner offshore pump will be much better, 300 water / second for 600 kW burning power looks pretty powerful and not too cheap.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Glad it helped! What will the power requirements for the electric pump be? I'm fine with either but here are some calculations for comparison:
With 2xEM2 a 1.2 MW pump uses 240kW.
With 2xEM2 a 2.4 MW pump uses 480kW.
With 2xEM1 instead you use twice as much energy as you would with 2xEM2, but they are very cheap so there are no excuses for not using them as soon as you can.

New response