This mod allows players to create and remotely control Avatars. Avatars act like players, with a few minor exceptions. The mod also includes a few custom entities to control and create the Avatars.

a month ago
0.13 - 1.1

b Keep losing access to avatars

2 years ago

Over the course of this server we keep losing access to avatars with the message WARNING: Could not find avatar <name> with an appropriate name for a LOT of avatars now, so whenever switching avatars the screen spams with that message. However, we cannot run the /c remote.call('Avatars', 'repair_avatar_listing') as the game is enforced to have no admin permissions (to prevent accidental... or purposeful cheating by anyone, and to keep achievements enabled). We've recovered most of the avatars by just 'mining' it up and putting it back down, but that message persists for those (and we haven't bothered to get back all of them since it doesn't get rid of the message anyway, so it would be nice to get access back to those).

Would it be possible to get an optional hotkey (default unbound is perfectly fine) that any user can hit to execute that command instead for such setups? It doesn't necessary seem like something that should be admin only but perhaps a game option for it if you can see a reason for it? Also, if the mod can detect that it couldn't find an avatar then why can't it attempt to recover it automatically?

Interestingly, whenever it rarely happens it seems to lose access to an avatar when a player is in that avatar, which seems to work fine overall until they switch out of that avatar, upon which it just can't be accessed again, doesn't happen often but it happens often enough that over 3 months on this server there are quite a few at this point... ^.^;

SE based server for note*

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Sure I should be able to add a hotkey as well. It's not a game breaking feature, but it will cause lag when used. So it won't stop bad actors if they want to ruin the game though.

There are a few reasons why the mod doesn't auto recover:

• The lost avatars are due to some mod destroying an avatar without triggering the destroy event. So it's really a compatibility issue with some mod. The command is just a stop-gap so it doesn't ruin games.
  • The command itself needs to do a full scan of every surface for avatars and see which ones are not tracked by the mod. This can take a while, especially if we're talking a big SE save (which is where I seem to get most of my compatibility issues).

Do you have a better scenario for when this occurs? The problem is normally when changing surfaces (planets in SE) or using a mod that changes the character. In the past with SE mods this was when using the jetpack/flying or rockets.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Jetpack is used a good bit, but the last few losses I had they were changing surfaces, just on the same surface ( a remote moon), but plenty of jetpacking around and using the navsat.

But yeah a hotkey would be great, perhaps if a map option to restrict it to all players or to admins only, with it default unbound would be preferred if anything.

EDIT: Instead of a hotkey what about registering a command directly? So we can do /avatars_fix or whatever, no point for a hot key and that does not require admin or anything odd?

Or perhaps a button in the avatar controller gui (perhaps for admins only if configured?).

2 years ago

I'll have to look into how permissions work, as I have never worked them before. But I'm sure I can figure something out.

2 years ago

The latest version has the new command /repair_avatars to handle that scenario.

I handle the permissions through a new setting as well:

• By default anyone is allowed (if it is left blank)
  • The setting should be a comma separated list of group names that are allowed to run the command (or just a single group name if only 1)
  • Any group that has admin_action will always be allowed to run it
2 years ago

I saw the update! Looks perfect from the changelog. We'll update the server tonight and give it a try. :-)

Thanks so much!

2 years ago

Been working well so far! And good timing, lost two more this evening, recovered with the command!

Even with a couple dozens of avatars across multiple dozens of surfaces the command runs in just a split second.

2 years ago

Glad to hear. I need to look back into the SE mod suite compatibility at some point.

New response