Almost Invisible Electric Wires

You can make the wires 80%, 50% or completely invisible. The Red and Green wire can be Blue and Yellow, or invisible too. Now you can customize it in settings.

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

i Color

6 years ago

You might want to tweak the color somehow. The color it is currently set with virtually makes it impossible to see wires over concrete, which would make it difficult if you needed to manually rearrange wires (since poles have a limited # of connections). Just an idea.

6 years ago

You right.. i'm thinking in doing it yellow, but almost transparent!

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I have an idea, hope you like it... To be invisible in the middle... XD i update now

6 years ago

I think black would work. Or is it possible (well I'm sure it is, but that does not mean easy) to allow people to select the color they prefer in options?

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Oh, nice idea! Invisible in the middle might work real well actually. Solves the other problem I ran into when placing new poles, I could not tell if the wire was long enough. It would also allow us to see how many connections are on the pole.

6 years ago

This would be cool, maybe a settings before starting the game ... Then you can put several colors ... i will try something ... i just uploaded the new version, but i gonna think more about it later, still far from ideal

6 years ago

So, me being me, I fiddled with it a bit.
I took the original copper wire images (hr one as well) and dropped opacity down 80% in photoshop
Slapped them into the zip
Updated the data.lua to point to them.
The result is you can just barely see them when zoomed in and they virtually disappear zoomed out.
I may mess with the color later, but for now it looks way better to me.
Thanks to you for pointing me in the direction of fixing them. I'll keep an eye on the mod to see what you come up with!

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

So, me being me, I fiddled with it a bit.
I took the original copper wire images (hr one as well) and dropped opacity down 80% in photoshop
Slapped them into the zip
Updated the data.lua to point to them.
The result is you can just barely see them when zoomed in and they virtually disappear zoomed out.
I may mess with the color later, but for now it looks way better to me.
Thanks to you for pointing me in the direction of fixing them. I'll keep an eye on the mod to see what you come up with!

PS -- Is it just me or is this website really dark text on a really dark background? Intereesting if it is after they did that blog post about working to make their UI compliant with ISO standards on contrast ...

6 years ago

I will try that with the copper wires with 80% ... it seems like a great solution ... And YES !! I have to keep marking the words to get enough contrast to be able to read here ...

6 years ago

I agree with the 80% change :) look forward to it

5 years ago

first, i want to apply the same disclaimer that CageStooge wrote:

First, don't want to be pushy here, I'm just tossing out ideas for you.

second, i have to agree to him on a second statement too:

I have to keep marking the words to get enough contrast to be able to read here ...

and it's even worse when quoting other people

why didn't the portal programmers see that themselves ?

third and finally, my real post:
three months ago, another mod was published to change the colors of circuit wires for colorblind people. it also would have helped me (non colorblind) to see the dark green wires better while setting up some logistics, or to make red wires less visible when a setup has been completed, but it doesn't allow the color of wires to be changed neither separately nor with some mod settings, but only enable the mod to replace red AND green by blue AND yellow. here is my suggestion on that mod's page: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ColorblindCircuitNetwork/discussion/5a8ed2433c712c000b707ca6

maybe you could add some such selection of colors for all three kinds of wires, having three per-player mod options with a drop-down: copper / invisible / red / green / blue / yellow / <maybe more>

and there is also yet another mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ConnectionBox that allows to place special "logic poles" which remove the copper wires after placement, but have them visible during placement. i don't know whether something like that would be helpful for your mod since there still is only one color of copper wires and changing that after placement probably would require another type of wires which has to be implemented in the core of factorio and not in a mod.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Great Anson, i'm trying to make this work... i recently learning that settings.lua... hope i can "get it"...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jrPcxTd8FcE/Wu7rZO5-quI/AAAAAAAAei0/A-W6CZvOK2gT8jyNL5FT1suE0lNVToNBwCLcBGAs/s1600/factchild1.png

5 years ago

i cant do the changes in_game, but if you click "Start new game", "Mod settings", configure... it will restart factorio and will load the changes for the other savegames.

5 years ago

Well, now that this structure was formed, we can get all the ideas and make many colors, transparecy we can! XD

5 years ago

Very nice! I would not worry too much about it switching in a game. As long as when you make changes in settings and load a game the changes show up, that should be enough. I messed around with it a few days ago, but the lua stuff started making my head hurt. Well, mostly trying to figure out the implementation they use (when which pieces of a mod are loaded in memory, etc) I do enough coding at work in about 6 different code languages, I just don't want to add another.

Nice job!

5 years ago

I just noticed (maybe it is just me?) that in game when I look at the mod in the mods list the description still reads: "It's hard to see the electric wires. The other wires are normal". Since they aren't normal (or are adjustable anyway) you may want to update that.

5 years ago

OOPS ... i forgot to change it... Changed now!! Thanks!!

New response