Ore Chaos deprecated

Replace a small fraction of the tiles in an ore patch by tiles of a different type. - 'Help there's coal in my copper ore!'

Content
6 years ago
0.14 - 0.16
Mining

i Starting area only option?

7 years ago

Is there a way to make this not affect the starting area? I really love the idea that you have to go out of your way to sort various ores, but in conjunction with bobs and/or angels, it muddles up the early game a bit much for my liking. So an option for starting area only would be nice, even if disabled by default (so only people like me can enable it if desired)

Still cool either way, I liike

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Thanks for the suggestion! As a quick fix, you can generate the starting area before you enable the mod. I'll add an option to disable it completely in the starting area. But I'm not sure this is what you want really.

The stuff that happens in the starting area is going to affect you most, because later you get bots and sorting with bots is trivial. So I might add an option to exclude certain ores from being affected (in the starting area).

7 years ago

Good idea! I'll see if that works, and thanks :D

Ahaa.. my playstyle may vary from most (which is why the option should be disabled by default), but I have never used bots for ores. It feels... wasteful to use a constant stream of bots where belts work just fine.

It's mostly because bobs+angels already has its ores producing up to 3-4 different kinds of "stuff" that you have to reprocess once or twice before even getting to the final result of copper/iron plates... having to sort the incoming base ores on top of all that, sounds a bit messy...

7 years ago

I now have a much more powerful config format. Default behavior hasn't changed but you can now disable it for any and all ores in the starting area or everywhere else. See what you can do and if you come up with a different config, feel free to share it here.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

I don't know what the config options were before, but damn right this thing looks powerful. I like it. So to get the result of all vanilla ores muddled together, but excluding the starting area, I would just comment out the line enabling "replacement_data_default", and uncomment out the line with replacement_data_example02?

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

So using the replacement_data_example02 config (and having all others disabled) seems to work perfectly when not using RSO, but when I put in RSO, all the ore patches outside of the starting area are either unaffected, or are only partly affected like this:
(also changed the chance to 0.9 instead 1/6, to make it stand out more where it was being chaos'd)

7 years ago

Same here like at the picture above.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Oh I thought I had fixed that. Sorry for the inconvenience, I'll give it another shot soon.

6 years ago

I'm really hoping I've fixed rso now. It might look a little weird because I delay processing the chunks a little. Once enough chunks in the area are generated everything should be chaos'd.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Hmmm... testing things out.. I'm preeeetty sure it works in normal gameplay. At first, I was testing using Creative Mode's SuperRadar which scans a massive area all at once. When using that, sometimes it would chaos, sometimes it would partly chaos, and other times it would fail completely.

But then I tested using vanilla radars, since that would be what we would normally use to scan areas, and it seemed to work. Because radars are so slow, I wasn't able to extensively test, but looks good!

EDIT: It also works when exploring by walking lol.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

This is still with rso active? Will look at it later. Did you actually see a place that wasnt chaosd in person? Cause as said I delay processing a chunk until surrounding chunks are generated, so the minimap wont be accurate. Maybe I should reveal the chunk again so the map updates.

Edit: Tested it. These chunks are close to the edge of the radar range. Once you generate more chunks (by walking close to them for example), they are chaos'd (I like this word). I am not entirely sure how to fix this and it doesnt matter too much so it will stay in the game for now.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Ah, sorry for the late response. But yes, I did indeed walk over the patches in person to make sure. Sometimes the sand looked like other ores on the minimap, so I thought I might be wrong, but no, when using a Creative Mode super radar to scan areas, it was pretty inconsistent. But that thing scans a HUGE area, far greater than (I think) even any other modded radar does.

I definitely noticed with the slower vanilla radar, the patches would stay normal until the whole area was scanned, and then it would suddenly bzzt and become chaos-y. I think that works perfectly for vanilla and not-too-fast radars. Also worked in all my walking tests. Just the super radar that seems to break it sometimes.

New response