ClaustOrephobic

by Braxbro

A purely data-stage implementation of dangOreous-esque gameplay that supports map preview and (most) mods.

Scenarios
a month ago
Environment

g Tree placement, cliff placement, and enemy expansion bug

8 months ago

i completed a game using ClaustOrephobic there is some issue related to map generation .
Ore affect tree placement : data.raw.resource.tree_removal_probability AND data.raw.resource.tree_removal_max_distance .
Cliff doesn't spawn.
Enemy expansion is also limited only worms turret spawn.
I would add to claustorephobic-allowed-prototypes setting : laser flametrower turret and radar required to defend oil outpost.

8 months ago
(updated 8 months ago)

i completed a game using ClaustOrephobic there is some issue related to map generation .
Ore affect tree placement : data.raw.resource.tree_removal_probability AND data.raw.resource.tree_removal_max_distance .

Interesting. I’ll look at this and see if I can replicate it.

Cliff doesn't spawn.

This shouldn’t be happening. Might need to look at placement order or cliff collisions.

Enemy expansion is also limited only worms turret spawn.

Weird. This wasn’t happening as of the release of the latest version.

I would add to claustorephobic-allowed-prototypes setting : laser flametrower turret and radar required to defend oil outpost.

The setting is a text box. You can add prototypes to it yourself; that’s the point of the setting.

Can you provide a mod list and steps to replicate the issue?

8 months ago

ha yes i used a mod that could affect entity collision : Mining drone and transport drone.

let me double check if i can reproduce or its was due to mod or setting

8 months ago

Re tested using only Editor extension and ClaustOrephobic

tree_removal_probability, tree_removal_max_distance are base game data that remove tree on ore patch

i just set max cliff frequency and continuity. Cliff are generated in the map preview, you can find some in the starting area but not on ore patch in game

8 months ago
(updated 8 months ago)

i generated a map with fast enemy expansion setting and created pollution using EE. enabling the debug setting show-enemy-expension-candidate-chunk.

i watched the enemy activity and was able to see an enemy expansion without spawner only worms turret.
i think most of the time expansion fail and create nothing.

8 months ago
(updated 8 months ago)

Re tested using only Editor extension and ClaustOrephobic

tree_removal_probability, tree_removal_max_distance are base game data that remove tree on ore patch

i just set max cliff frequency and continuity. Cliff are generated in the map preview, you can find some in the starting area but not on ore patch in game

Trees look like they can be easily fixed. Not so sure about cliffs.

i generated a map with fast enemy expansion setting and created pollution using EE. enabling the debug setting show-enemy-expansion-candidate-chunk.

i watched the enemy activity and was able to see an enemy expansion without spawner only worms turret.
i think most of the time expansion fail and create nothing.

Probably because of something with the collision masks. I admit, I didn’t test this case. I’ll look at fixing it.

Edit: It’s just collision mask nonsense, aside from trees. Shouldn’t be terrible to fix.

8 months ago

for tree this should fix and allow normal placement

for _, tree in pairs(data.raw.resource) do
tree.tree_removal_probability = 0 -- tree_removal_probability = 0.7 to 0.8
tree.tree_removal_max_distance = 0 -- tree_removal_max_distance = 1024,
end

8 months ago
(updated 8 months ago)

Okay. Some updates:

• Cliffs are apparently hardcoded. I can't fix them, that's something that will have to be fixed by Factorio itself, it seems.
  • Trees were NOT easily fixed; there's something more to what's going on there than tree_removal_probability/tree_removal_max_distance. Possible hardcoded behavior? I'll look at tree autoplaces, but no guarantees...
  • Enemy expansion also does not seem fixable. I've yet to figure out why that's broken.

So, basically, I can't do shit to fix these bugs. Sorry.

8 months ago

then you could disable this feature from the default map gen preset data.raw["map-gen-presets"] so ppl dont get confuse by the bad behaviour.

7 months ago

then you could disable this feature from the default map gen preset data.raw["map-gen-presets"] so ppl dont get confuse by the bad behaviour.

Update on this:
- I might be able to predict cliff positions and remove resources from those locations to permit the cliffs to spawn. It’ll require a bit to work out, but all of the values are exposed to the noise generator.
- I mistyped the properties in the previous dev build for trees. They might be fixed for the next patch.
- Enemy structures were getting caught in the collision modifications. This will be fixed for the next patch.

No ETA on the next patch; I’ve been very busy lately with college coursework. But I think I have solutions now.

7 months ago
(updated 7 months ago)

Update on the night's progress:
- Cliff stuff is a pain.
- Trees are fixed.
- Enemies are fixed.

I'll be taking a good stab at the cliff stuff before the next release, but it's gonna be very complicated to do and I both have other work to do and need to get sleep. I'll try to keep you posted.

7 months ago
(updated 7 months ago)

I’m going to be postponing the cliff fixes to 1.0.6. (after the next Factorio update) The other fixes are released in 1.0.5.
This is due to upcoming API improvements that will allow me to fix the cliff issue without remaking cliff generation as a noise expression.
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=108767

7 months ago

Cliff fixes are released under v1.1.0. You will need to update to the 1.1.92 experimental build until the next stable version comes out in order to benefit from them.

7 months ago

congratulations for fixing all the bugs!

This thread has been locked.