Xander Mod

An extensive overhaul, emphasizing detailed and realistic chemistry, materials, and production. Extends the base game to marathon-style complexity.

Overhaul
2 years ago
0.15 - 1.1

i Iron plate in electric furnace

2 years ago

Hi there,

Maybe I'm missing something but is it possible to make iron plates in electric furnace (or should I continue with blast furnaces until the end of the game?)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Actually there is nothing like iron plate in Xander mod. There is iron ore (which is mined), which can be reduced to pig iron (a.k.a crude iron), which is an intermediate product (in metalurgical meaning of that word, not in factorio meaning). It then can be transformed to cast iron, wrought iron or steel. Of course you need the particular technologies to be invented.
The wrought iron is actually early industrial era steel before inventing Bessemer's process and in mid game you will need it no more, all receipes using the wrought iron are "replaced" with steel ones. This actually matches the real industry, IRL the wrought iron is not used since early 1900s. This is the reason the wrought iron is not supported in the electrical furnaces.
Pig iron, cast iron and steel can be produced in the electric furnace. For making pig iron you still need a "reduction agent". In early receipes there is coke, later it is carbon monoxid. This also matches the real metalurgy proceses.

New response