Spaceblock

Seablock but without the sea, and you make a rocket by duplicating resources instead of from water. Build your own space station / satellite / orbital rocket launchpad / factory thing

Overhaul
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

g Excessive memory usage?

3 years ago

Hi PyroFire!

Thanks for this mod, I really think it has a lot of promise.

There's an issue that I've run into though. Together with a friend, we recently started a new world on our server. Our server has a meager 1GB of memory. It's not a lot, but in our previous vanilla run, we managed to get close to 1k science per minute with that amount of memory. For our new world, we figured we'd use a mod that forces us to keep the map size small, hoping that that would lead to less memory usage. Enter Spaceblock!

However, we find that we run out of memory only just after reaching chemical science, just a tiny fraction of the size of the base that we had in our vanilla playthrough. So, I fiddled with our list of mods, trying to figure out what was going on. Disabling all the mods except for Spaceblock has basically no impact on memory usage. But disabling the Spaceblock mod drops memory usage down to about 300 MB total.

Of course, this does set some assemblers to no recipe, and removes on the order of one hundred entities (space matter furnaces and the like). But is that really 600MB worth of memory?

Is there something in this mod that uses more memory than expected?

Thanks!

3 years ago

It's something i'll probably need to look into.
Certainly odd that it is exclusively spaceblock.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

How big is your save file?
I have a hunch that it's pollution spreading without anything to stop it, and that is causing your save file to grow massively too, both increasing memory usage.
If this is the case, easy fix just make space tiles nom that pollution like regular ground tiles do so it doesn't spread and unnecessarily generate chunks that you'll probably never ever visit or see, and then add a migration to clear pollution and reset unexplored chunks.

3 years ago

The save is here: https://gofile.io/d/hIciqU It's 3.4MB, so not that big.

3 years ago

PpVoltoYesterday at 4:36 AM
Does anyone knows a Mod or a way to Replace every Landfill tile with i say Grass or Sand? My current World uses arround 7GiB of ram when i dont miss read my resource monitor, i had loaded a different world where there are normal Grass Tiles and it only uses arround 2 GiB

3 years ago

Are you saying that landfill uses lots of memory? If that's the case then it might be worth reporting as a Factorio bug.

3 years ago

I'd say its more likely the mining productivity beacon thing.

New response