Snowy Rocky Planet

by swap

The planet you landed on is a cold rocky planet.

6 years ago

g All Snow

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Are you able to make an "All Snow" planet?
Regards,
~B

6 years ago

For an all snow world you take away the -- before the red desert biomes in the data-updates.lua

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Yep, figured that out. Testing it not with Snow and the Volcanics as I've always wanted for geothermic melting ice caps.

EDIT: Cool, it works. The only thing I see is that I'm getting too much water and volcanic. Will experiment further.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Yeah, this mod seems to generate far too much water (huge lakes everywhere) even with my standard one source of water in the starting location. Looks like icebergs everywhere, tbh. I will try to apply the "No Lakes" mod to see if it balances it out. It won't totally remove water completely, but "might" cut down on all this lake country. I did see in your code where you had some "water fixes". I may end up having to resort to focusing on that when everything else is exhausted. Reminder: looking for a mid-land Antarctica type biome with a just a small melting cap lake in the starting area.

EDIT: No Lakes is very aggressive attempts to replace pumps with pump-jacks. It turned all that nonsense off, went for not water and will just water-fill were I want my water. Assuming the generation is truly all snow.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

The "No lakes" worked as advertised, but I don't think you can add water spots UNTIL you have access to some water...lol.

Gonna try a map seed from my current world that has the perfect "one lake" set-up.

6 years ago

yes, that is true, you need water for the water spots.

6 years ago

I've got the "Stone Well", so no biggie...lol

6 years ago

I see, have fun then ;)

6 years ago

The author of Alien Biomes is a friend of mine. We went deep into his code last night to see what we can do to make what you accomplished easier for everyone to do. I did notice some "lake issues" in your mod where, for some reason, it creates far too many lakes, but I used workarounds for that. I do love what you've done and it's far more than I currently can do myself. I did look at your code and see some "fixes" for things and all this ought to fix itself rather shortly. Thank-you for the inspiration to improve Alien Biomes.
Regards,
~B

6 years ago

Yea I noticed the many lakes too. But I use the no-lakes mod myself now. The vast majority of the code was done by Pithlit so I dont know much about it.
But if this is implemented in the alien biomes mod that would be much more convenient. :)

I am curious what workarounds you did for the too many lakes issue.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I used "No Lakes" as well. I closed the GitHub issue as I ran a version that had your extra code all commented out so all it was ... was tile limitation and I got the exact same "Lake World". The author and I might have something within the week to get the snow sans all the deep lakes. I am wondering if that walkable lakes thing is taking an effect, thought, but I thought that was going to be like a special water-fill tool.

Anyway, I'll be still working at it.

Yep, I'm water-walking in all the shallow parts. Gonna turn that off and try although I don't think the extra-deep-lakes are related.

Seems like a "No-Deep-Lakes-Mod" is in order here...

6 years ago

OFC, when I don't run your mod aside Alien Biomes...I only get the starter lake as normal. Maybe...just maybe...you have missed a tile set that IS "deep water" related that is still staying active.

6 years ago

LOL. My next step in this fiasco is to go in and great my own "No Lakes" mod version...lol. Not a big fan of ground water, free "water-pumpjacks and solar panels" as that kinda messes with gameplay.

6 years ago

Crap! It's either all water (all those excessive lakes) or no water...lol.

6 years ago

--dont generate water tiles
if settings.startup["remove-water"].value then
for name,tile in pairs(data.raw.tile) do
if (string.match(name,".water.") == name) then
data.raw.tile[name].autoplace = nil
end
end
end

6 years ago

See that water.?

That needs to be altered to get rid of deep water only.

6 years ago

It's not so much as stoping the water graphics as it is stopping the deep water tile and all that is encapsulated in it.

I think I'll go back to no lakes and a stone well...lol.

6 years ago

I think it has something to do with this as it changes the max water and p.maxwater. But I did not write this code so I am not sure, and have no idea how to fix it.

if (peak.water_optimal - peak.water_range) < min_water then
min_water = (peak.water_optimal - peak.water_range)
end
if (peak.water_optimal + peak.water_range) > max_water then
max_water = (peak.water_optimal + peak.water_range)
end

p.min_water = 1 - (1-(peak.water_optimal - peak.water_range))/(1-min_water)
p.max_water = (peak.water_optimal + peak.water_range)/max_water

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

That may be it, but I think have a "workaround". Instead of "selecting by not commenting out"...How about making all the biomes not commented out "Snow" (or the one biome commented out). (I know that just aims to fix the "one-biome-selected" scenario, but I guess it could work for multiple splitting the others between the ones commented out for true balance. Either way, there needs to be a more aggressive way to select the biomes you want, rather than have them selected by the absence of "manual code manipulation". Most, I can assure you, don't unpack mods, modify them, then re-pack them. Thus "Mod Settings" are implemented for this sort of stuff.

That all being said...THIS is being worked on as we speak. Only so many hours in the day, y'know?

P.S. Was the code snippet you gave above in your mod or Alien Biomes' mod?

6 years ago

Swap,
Are you on Discord so that we can chat?
Bordo

6 years ago

No, I rarely use discord.

6 years ago

Seems like the whole "Biome" thing will change in about 3 weeks when 0.16 hits.

New response